Pics Only Inductor Boost

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

dreichula

Pics Only Inductor Boost

Post by dreichula » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:21 pm

Hey y’all,

I’m looking for info on this feature/component of the 72 graphic/pics only gro/or120/80 amps. On its schematic it is drawn as an inductor/choke but I can’t find any visible evidence of it in the gutshota I’ve been studying. I’ve read that not all pics only models actually had these as well. Do any owners/techs out there have any info? Specifics like Henry’s and manufacturer would be appreciated but really anything is nice.

Thanks!

LD50
Tiny Terror

Re: Pics Only Inductor Boost

Post by LD50 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:39 am

I have been looking for the same info re manufacturer.

Here is the last Pix only I worked on:

The schems I have seen suggest 2mH but an Orange expert thought more like 25mH, sorry I should have pulled and measured but it was not my amp and did not want to damage it as the spec is hard to find to buy/make another.

dreichula

Post by dreichula » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:04 pm

Better safe than sorry especially with someone else’s stuff!

Thanks so much for the pic though!

dreichula

Post by dreichula » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:02 pm

LD50 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:39 am
I have been looking for the same info re manufacturer.

Here is the last Pix only I worked on:

The schems I have seen suggest 2mH but an Orange expert thought more like 25mH, sorry I should have pulled and measured but it was not my amp and did not want to damage it as the spec is hard to find to buy/make another.

Did you get to play the one with the inductor boost? Were you able to pick up any noticeable tonal differences?

LD50
Tiny Terror

Post by LD50 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:06 pm

As with most of these there is variation in the valves, and component drift, however the sweetest playing OR120 I have was another Pix only amp with metal panel and appearance like the one you see.
This one above was a little brighter and IMO not quite as complex, bit more like my own '73 OR120 and other 120s I've played, almost as nice as an early OR100 ORMAT.