OB1 300 Speaker Match

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Bobthebass

OB1 300 Speaker Match

Post by Bobthebass » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:34 pm

I'm currently using a pair of Laney Nexus 210 speaker cabs rated at 300 watt 8ohm each cab
For practice I take one cab, for gigs I take 2 cabs
Looking to buy the Orange OB1 300 as I need that excellent tone. However, can't afford to change cabs yet.

Question, would these cabs be ok for now with the OB1 300 and would they give me the full 300 watts?
Thanks

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: OB1 300 Speaker Match

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:44 pm

Yes they will be fine. I believe the OB1-300 only has speakon so make sure the cabs have that jack type. 2X8ohm cabs = 4ohm total load which will = the full 300 watts out of the amp. Don't be super fixated on getting an Orange cab. You might find that yours work perfectly fine. I used a Traynor TC1510 with mine and it sounded excellent.

Bobthebass

Post by Bobthebass » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:19 pm

I've not had much luck of mixing cabs and amps in the past
You've set my mind at rest - thanks
Looking forward to getting my new Orange OB1 now

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:45 pm

No worries boss. TBH I don't really care about mixing and matching brands anymore (I used to, but realised it was silly). If it sounds good, it sounds good. After 10 years with Orange gear I will say that I am no longer a fan of the guitar cabs. I find them very dark, and overpriced if you want the truth. Took me trying out a few non Orange cabs to realise this (I've never tried an Orange bass cab, so I can't comment on that). Perhaps you should look into getting the OB1-300 combo? If you plan to buy a cab anyway, it will save you a bit of cash in the long run, not to mention the increased portability. I fell out of love with my OB1-300 quickly. I would really advise on you renting/testing (if possible) it in a band setting before putting out your cash. It is quite expensive if you are buying new. I was lucky and got it used, but if I was in the market for a dirty amp head in this price range, I would go for a used Ampeg V4B (gorgeous dirty sound, still want to get one eventually), or a Traynor YBA200 (these NEED new tubes if you are buying new).

My favourite bass tones (I've heard in person) have been a vintage SVT into an Ampeg 212 cab, and a Traynor YBA300, into an Ampeg 410 4ohm cab. While I love filthy bass tones, I find they never really stand out in the mix, and always migrate back to my clean/slightly pushed sound. Different strokes.

If you want my actual thoughts/review of the OB1-300 LMK, otherwise enjoy the AMP, and play the crap out of it :D