Troubleshooting Brent Hinds Terror Problem - Full Power vs. Half Power

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Hyperion

Troubleshooting Brent Hinds Terror Problem - Full Power vs. Half Power

Post by Hyperion » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:42 am

Hi guys, a relatively new (few weeks) Brent Hinds Terror appears to have a problem, only audible on the Full power setting.

I've attached a few audio files, both recorded with the exact same settings, only change is flipping to Half Power.

Signal is Telecaster with SD Custom Custom, Amp, TwoNotes Torpedo Studio, Focusrite Scarlette 18i20, Logic X - no EQ / POST.

Was all set up so that the full power setting was not causing any clipping, and the Torpedo also has adaptive input control to prevent clipping.

You'll notice that the full power setting has audible snap cracle and pop action going, which is quite odd....

Clip 1 - Full Power with Problem https://vocaroo.com/i/s1JFTbBLCltR

Clip 2 - Half Power - no noticable problem https://vocaroo.com/i/s1lMUiaRavEF

My guess is a bad tube, but the shop I've bought this from has "tested" it and says there is no problem. I havent switched it out yet, but either I'll do so, or I'll have the shop I've bought this from provide the new tubes.

Welcome thoughts!

Dave

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Troubleshooting Brent Hinds Terror Problem - Full Power vs. Half Power

Post by Jondog » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:29 pm

Tubes are my first go to. You mentioned the Torpedo, does it do this with a cab?

Hyperion

Post by Hyperion » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:09 pm

Yeah, same issue csn be heard via a cab, etc, the Torpedo was just the easiest for me to record quickly. Finally convinced their numpty tech guy to just change the tubes and all seems fine for now. Will keepan eye on it, as it could be a deeper problem that could reaccur.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:38 pm

In my experience it's a tube causing that issue. Sometimes you can see the tube arcing.