4x12 cab wiring

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

makjoh

4x12 cab wiring

Post by makjoh » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:49 pm

Has anyone got a PHOTO of the STANDARD wiring of an Orange 4x12 cab. I've opened up mine to replace a damaged speaker. But looking at the wiring it appears thus.....

Bottom speakers....left + (positive) connected to right - (negative) with orange wire.....Then left -(negative) connected to black wire with two spades, the other spade connected to right + (positive) which then feed the two top speakers splitting off to top left speaker - (negative) and right speaker (positive). Another orange wire connects top left + (positive) to top right -(negative)

My understanding was this cab was wired in series only? (16 ohm) So I assume this to be a series/parallel and if so is it correct? Its the angled 4x12 signature cab (Andy dunlop?)

Rlw59
Rocker

Re: 4x12 cab wiring

Post by Rlw59 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:01 pm

Four 16Ω speakers have to be wired series/parallel or parallel/series for the cab to be 16Ω total.

Four 4Ω speakers all in series would be 16Ω total, but that wiring is rare. (If any speaker or connection fails, all the speakers go silent.)
--------------------------
Your wiring is two series pairs, connected together in parallel. Not sure if it's the way the factory does it, but probably is. It's generally considered the most reliable wiring.

(Well, four 16Ω all in parallel for 4Ω total is the absolute most reliable, but that's more a Fender thing.)

makjoh

Re: 4x12 cab wiring

Post by makjoh » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:11 am

Great explanation.......many thanks my Orange brother. I now happy to speaker up, close the cab and hear her sing :D