Is my cab broken?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

ashm25

Is my cab broken?

Post by ashm25 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:37 am

Hi all,

Apologies, new user with a noob question here, but can't seem to find anything else online to help me and thought I'd dip into the 'Orange community'.

I recently got an Orange PPC412 cab off Ebay. It's in very good condition having spent almost all its life in a live-in flight case. I put my TH30 head through it.

However, the right hand jack input on the back of the cab doesn't seem to work. The TH30 has one 16 ohm and two 8 ohm outputs - plugging from any of these into the left jack input on the cab works fine, but going into the right there is no noise at all, completely dead. FYI, I am not going into both inputs or anything like that, just running one cable (and it is proper speaker cable, not instrument cable) from the head into the cab.

I guess my question is, is this a feature of the cab, where the right jack input only works under certain conditions? eg. if both jacks are being used? Or is it broken? If it is the latter, any idea if it's an easy fix?

Any and all help appreciated! Thanks.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Is my cab broken?

Post by Jondog » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:47 am

I’d say there is a problem with the jack.

PBA
Rocker

Post by PBA » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:16 pm

I too would say problem with the jack.
Just to add - Don't use it as it's likely to be a disconnected wire leading to an open circuit. This could be harmful to your amp.

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:24 pm

Geeze.

Please don't take this personally. Most people just stick a cable into a cab to see what happens, but it's a very risky thing to do. Please think of this as a public service announcement.

A dead jack is either a short circuit (bad) or an open circuit (very very bad).

Amps are pretty rugged and usually survive abuse. But each and every time someone plugs an amp into a dead jack and plays, that's extreme abuse. They risk sudden, instant, extensive and expensive damage to the amp. Even though it survived several times, the next flip of the standby switch might release the magic smoke.

At the least, do a 9V battery test. Stick a cable into the cab, and briefly touch the battery terminals to the plug terminals. You should hear a loud pop. If not, figure out why not and fix it. Then do the battery test again. If you hear the pop, the cab won't instantly murder your amp.

Better still, spend $9 at WalMart for a DMM/voltmeter and verify that the impedance is correct. (DC resistance measures a little lower than AC impedance, so it's normal for a cab to read a little lower than its rating.)

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:43 pm

Back to your specific cab, the factory wires the jacks in parallel. You should be able to plug the amp into either one (you can use the second jack to parallel daisy-chain a second cab, if you have some situation where that's more convenient than running 2 cables from the amp).

Most likely a solder joint has gone bad on the dead jack. Possibly one of the leaf spring terminals is stuck open or cracked off, but pushing in the plug would probably feel a bit different.

Most likely it's perfectly safe to use the working jack. After you determine that to be the case, you could just tape over the dead jack.

But it would be prudent to verify why the dead jack doesn't work.

People do weird things to cabs. Sometimes it makes sense for their specific situation. But sometimes it's because they don't know any better. The seller may truly believe he hooked it back up correctly after removing and then replacing the stock speakers, so he didn't feel any need to tell you he had other speakers in it at one point.

The jack could have developed the problem when you hit a bump in the road bringing it home. But that doesn't mean the wiring is correct -- could be a completely independent issue.