Tube Socket/Shield/Base Question

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

kmb8488

Tube Socket/Shield/Base Question

Post by kmb8488 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:57 am

Hello!

One of the tube covers in my TH30 will no longer stay seated over the tube, as the nub end that the cover sits on when twisted into the base has ground down too far (hopefully I've explained that correctly). Anyway, I'd like to replace the part with the nub (I think it's called a base, but not certain about that). Anyone know the easiest way to do this?

Thanks!

Sooner
Orange Master

Re: Tube Socket/Shield/Base Question

Post by Sooner » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:37 pm

Without looking at what's involved in replacing the base, I would probably try using a small blob of epoxy to build the nub back up before doing anything else.
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:15 pm

Has it “ground down”, or just pushed in? They’re fairly thin malleable aluminum, if it’s just push in you might be able to push it back out with a small screwdriver. Other wise, I think the holes are tapped and don’t have nuts on the other side, so you may just be able to unscrew them from the chassis without having to take the amp apart. They are not connected to the tube socket or pcb inside. You can buy new ones at many online tube amp suppliers like tube depot, amplified parts, etc..
https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/t ... ple-colors

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:01 pm

Have you tried swapping the shields around? They're pretty flimsy -- if the nub on the base is damaged from removal/installation, it's a good bet that the cover also suffered some damage. Might work fine on a different base, and one of the other covers might work fine on the worn base.

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:17 pm

I'm probably excessively paranoid, but I've seen metal whiskers drop off of sheetmetal when removing/reinstalling a screw. Sometimes pretty substantial ones that could bridge components and cause bad things to happen.

Replacing the base is most likely fine. But I'd feel the need to then pull the chassis, flip it over, shake it around, blow it out with compressed air. If possible use a mirror and flashlight to look at the space between the PCB and chassis.

Maybe just me.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:33 pm

The more I’m thinking about it, the whole amp might need to be replaced.

:lol:

kmb8488

Post by kmb8488 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:31 pm

You guys are the best. Thank you so much!