Rockverb Mkiii Tube Issue

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

[email protected]

Rockverb Mkiii Tube Issue

Post by [email protected] » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:20 pm

Last year (about 8 months ago) I bought the rockerverb mkiii 100 watt head with the PPC 212 Cabinet (both in black) I have only used the two together and play it about 10-12 hours a week at practice and gigs. Recently i noticed one of my tubes went out, I lost a lot of tone and also the volume gets really quiet and then back to normal all on its own. After turning off the head and letting it cool down, i turned it back on (in standby) and the tube stayed off, but when i put light pressure on top of the tube it came back on, like it wasn't getting a good connection. I kept playing and the tube would go out then come back on when I touch it. Could it just be a bad tube?
If that wasn't bad enough my cabinet(ppc 212) has also stopped working. no sound at all. I originally thought it was the head because of the tube issue but I tested the head on different cabs and they worked. I looked inside to see if the wires may have come disconnected but everything looks fine. Everything is under warranty and I have submitted a RMA to Orange but haven't heard anything yet. I really would appreciate someones help, got a big show in 9 days! Thanks!
(could these two problems be related?)

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Rockverb Mkiii Tube Issue

Post by Jondog » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:49 pm

If it's under warranty I'd go that route. It could just be a tube, but the fact it works when you push down on the tube could mean a bad solder connection on the tube socket. If you have some spare tubes you could try to see if it solves the issue otherwise.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:51 pm

At 10 to 12h a week for 8 month, your power valves might well have had it.

They usually lost longer, but they can fail after 6 months regular use.

Getting the warranty working is a good idea though, worst case scenario (so long as you don't have to pay for shipping) you pay for new valves.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:45 pm

Thanks for the advice! I replaced the el34 and the new one works without any problems so that takes care of that problem.
Still waiting for orange to get back to me about my cabinet...

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:08 am

Do you have a multimeter by any chance?

If so, you could check continuity of the wiring In the cab.
You can also open the cab and do the battery test to check that each speaker is working. Youd need a 9v battery. Google the test, it's easy to do.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute