OR15 only works with cable in effects loop

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

chuckyda

OR15 only works with cable in effects loop

Post by chuckyda » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:42 pm

Has anyone else had this problem with their OR15 head? I barely get any sound out of the amp at all but when I use a cable to pass through the effects loop, all is normal. Tried replacing all tubes already thinking the pre-amp section was bad but that didn't help. Any ideas?

Sootio
Rocker

Re: OR15 only works with cable in effects loop

Post by Sootio » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:32 pm

Sounds like a bad solder joint. I had that happen with a Marshall once. The good news is, that amp got played for many years that way.

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:04 pm

There's a mechanical switching contact in the return jack. Normally, with no plug inserted, that switch is the path from the preamp to the power amp. When you insert a plug, that disconnects the preamp from the power amp. (The cable from send to return becomes the path fron preamp to poweramp.)

That switch contact can get dirty/oxidized, and cause a weak connection between the preamp and poweramp.

Fairly common issue*, and symptoms are exactly as you describe. Weak, distorted, or no sound, but works perfectly with a cable from send to return.

Turn amp off. Spray Caig DeOxit (or similar) into return jack. Stick a plug into return jack, pull it out quickly, repeat rapidly several times (to scrub the contact). Usually fixes the problem, but may reoccur later. (So if your jack starts doing it, make spraying/exercising regular yearly maintenance.)
----------------------
* "fairly common": most amps with loops never exhibit the problem, but it can and does happen with just about any of them.

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:12 pm

There's some small chance of a bad solder joint at the return jack switch, or a failed jack that won't respond to cleaning.

Easy repair, but if cleaning doesn't work I'd probably be lazy and just get a short patch cable with right-angle ends and leave it permanently plugged in.

chuckyda

Post by chuckyda » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:22 pm

Thank you for the advice! I've ordered some contact cleaner and will give that a try.

Sootio
Rocker

Post by Sootio » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:51 pm

Rlw59 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:12 pm
There's some small chance of a bad solder joint at the return jack switch, or a failed jack that won't respond to cleaning.

Easy repair, but if cleaning doesn't work I'd probably be lazy and just get a short patch cable with right-angle ends and leave it permanently plugged in.
My amp was a JTM 30. I just plugged my delay in the loop, and went about my business. A few years later, I sold it to a friend who plugged a chorus in there and played it many more years. It seems like it was pretty common with those amps.

megalithic
Orange Hero

Post by megalithic » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:26 am

I've seen so many switching jacks fail (not in Orange amps, but in general), I would say the chance of a bad solder joint is low, although it's possible if it is a loose jack disconnected from a PC board. Also if it's a loose solder joint, the patch cable fix will likely not work.

Unfortunately it's usually a mechanical problem so contact spray may not do the job. The open jacks are easy to fix if you open the amp up, however most modern amps use the enclosed type which is harder to fix.

Do not try to fix an amp if you do not know what you're doing, chance of electrocution is high.