Orange Crush 12 (110 to 220V)

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

mnlorenz0

Orange Crush 12 (110 to 220V)

Post by mnlorenz0 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:29 am

Hello everyone! Just bought a Crush 12 from the USA and at the back its ticked off at 110/115/120V. My location is here in Saudi Arabia where the standard voltage is 220V. My question is to use it safely, do I just set the voltage selector switch to 220-240 V then change the fuse to a T160mA? How do I change the fuse? Apologize to all as I'm not much of hands-on, electrical kinda guy :oops: please be gentle!

Sooner
Orange Master

Re: Orange Crush 12 (110 to 220V)

Post by Sooner » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:25 am

There's a trap door underneath the mains power input that holds the fuse.
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

PBA
Rocker

Post by PBA » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:30 pm

I don't have a Crush, so can't say for sure but I suspect you need to select 220V AND swap the fuse for a different rated one - roughly half the current rating of the existing fuse?
As above, the fuse is located in a pull out drawer immediately below the 3 pin mains power lead.
Now, Saudi Arabia isn't the most fun place to be. Playing guitar isn't common amongst Saudis. You'll be fine in the compounds and most private places but do be sensitive to local sensibilities until you are sure. Note also that local music shops don't really exist so take spare strings, plectrums etc. As a Brit, I was expecting the lack of humidity to hurt my guitar but with air conditioning it turned out to be fine. Obviously your experiences may differ.
I must also say that after two three month stints, the hassle of taking a guitar with me became highly irritating and I switched to a ukulele which fitted into my main suitcase!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:33 pm

PBA wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:30 pm
I don't have a Crush, so can't say for sure but I suspect you need to select 220V AND swap the fuse for a different rated one - roughly half the current rating of the existing fuse?
As above, the fuse is located in a pull out drawer immediately below the 3 pin mains power lead.
Now, Saudi Arabia isn't the most fun place to be. Playing guitar isn't common amongst Saudis. You'll be fine in the compounds and most private places but do be sensitive to local sensibilities until you are sure. Note also that local music shops don't really exist so take spare strings, plectrums etc. As a Brit, I was expecting the lack of humidity to hurt my guitar but with air conditioning it turned out to be fine. Obviously your experiences may differ.
I must also say that after two three month stints, the hassle of taking a guitar with me became highly irritating and I switched to a ukulele which fitted into my main suitcase!
One of my friend worked there for 6 month. He referred to it as working in Mordor....

I've never been there myself.

You could pick up an Ould (local type of mandolin) there too.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

PBA
Rocker

Post by PBA » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:48 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:33 pm
One of my friend worked there for 6 month. He referred to it as working in Mordor....

I've never been there myself.

You could pick up an Ould (local type of mandolin) there too.
I'm not sure it's quite as bad as Mordor but it's very hot :D

I did look to see if an Oud was possible but the only ones I saw were in a traditional music shop which I never saw open! The were also eye wateringly expensive. I bought a Hofner Very Thin when i came home instead :lol: