Rocker 32 WTF is wrong with this thing?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

jamielawson

Rocker 32 WTF is wrong with this thing?

Post by jamielawson » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:05 am

Just bought an Orange Rocker 32, soo stoked on the amp. First problem was it was popping/hissing...Long and McQuade(Canadian Music Store) found a bad preamp tube, replaced it. Now, the distortion seems less gritty and the volume isn't all there. Long and McQuade are pissing me off they're telling me nothing is wrong even though I know it's not as loud as it was when I got it. WTF am I supposed to do? Orange Amps have never disappointed me and I'm highly let down by a brand new in the box $1750 amp that's causing me this much grief...What can I do? Long and McQuade tell me they would not cover the cost of new tubes...???I'm sooooooo disappointed :(

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Rocker 32 WTF is wrong with this thing?

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:44 pm

Valves are only warranted for 3 months.

How long have you had the amp for?

It sounds like you aren't impressed by Long McQuade and i cant blame you.

If the valves are over 3 months old, you'll have to pay to replace them yourself. On the plus side, you can do that yourself, without invalidating the amp warranty.

If that doesn't solve it, you'll need to get Long McQuade to look after you.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

LD50
Tiny Terror

Post by LD50 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:21 pm

Check what preamp valve they replaced and with what type.

If they used a 5751 or ECC81 where a 12AX7/ECC83 is normal that would cause the symptoms.

Normally there are x4 ECC83s, x2 ECC81s and x4 EL84s. You must check what is there and that they are in the right slots.

Do you have spare preamp valves to experiment with?

jamielawson

Post by jamielawson » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:00 am

i know nothing of tube amps and no i dont have any replacement valves. this is a brand new amp and i'm forced to buy all new tubes? wtf is this bullshit. not impressed with long and mcquade or orange for that matter. if anybody is a moderator please forward this to someone because I'm going to have to pay out of pocket for all new tubes because long and mcquade doesnt seem to think theres anything wrong with the freaking amp when there very clearly is...

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:31 am

I'm sorry you are having problems with your amp. L&M should be taking care of you - you don't say how long you've had the amp. Since this is your first tube amp, you may be unfortunately discovering that sometimes tubes can go bad without warning or sooner than they should.

If you've had the amp less than 30 days, tell them you want a refund which is their advertised policy. When you first brought it back, how long was it after you bought it?

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:20 pm

You need to think of valves like light bulbs. They can go anytime.

And if this is your 1st valve amp, valve amp need servicing and maintenance.

99% of the time, valves are the issue. If valves aren't the issue, you still need to try new valves to find out they aren't the issue. It is a bit of a pain I agree, but that's the way valve amp works.

Next, the timeline of your purchase and dealings with the dealer is pretty important. Because valves do die, they are under warranty for only 3 months. They are likely to fail very early on or work for years without problem, known as the early death syndrom in electronics. It does happen.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

LD50
Tiny Terror

Post by LD50 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:22 pm

jamielawson wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:00 am
i know nothing of tube amps and no i dont have any replacement valves. this is a brand new amp and i'm forced to buy all new tubes? wtf is this bullshit. not impressed with long and mcquade or orange for that matter. if anybody is a moderator please forward this to someone because I'm going to have to pay out of pocket for all new tubes because long and mcquade doesnt seem to think theres anything wrong with the freaking amp when there very clearly is...
I agree - send it back if it is new and under warranty.
Second point is you are going to buy, play and enjoy your tube amp you need to learn just a little about them, like what a tube is, what a fuse is and how to solve really basic issues, nothing complex or difficult, just the basics.

jamielawson

Post by jamielawson » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:43 pm

Guys guys guys, few things here. Brand new out of box tube amp from long and mcquade and orange. This is NOT my first tube amp, this is the first time a brand new tube amp has been giving me grief. I sent it to long and mcquade again and they said nothing is wrong. I’m so freaking upset because I again gave them the benefit of the doubt and brought my amp home for the 3rd time after they’ve looked at it, it’s still wayyyy to quiet and the distortion is barely there. How do I go to Orange and go over long and mcquades head because they’re now saying I have to pay for new tubes out of pocket...ITS A freaking NEW AMP!!! i’ve had it for about 2 months..:it came in a freaking brand new box when I got it...what the dollywaggle man

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:53 pm

Call Orange USA directly.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:47 pm

bclaire wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:53 pm
Call Orange USA directly.
^^

What he said.

This forum really is for Orange amps enthusiasts, it isn t monitored by Orange much.

It looks like long McQuade are letting you down big time, and complaining here (however understandable) isn't going to get you resolution.

I hope you get it sorted soon, all other feedback I've heard about the R32 was very impressive.
Ant

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:19 am

You can also send a private message to Orange's Facebook page. Those messages are monitored by people from both the US and UK offices. :wink:
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001