Crush 20 Distortion Weak?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Cam977

Crush 20 Distortion Weak?

Post by Cam977 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:55 pm

I've had a Crush 20 but the distortion sounds weak and it makes a horrendous hiss every time I use a TS9 to boost it?
On the full gain setting it sounds as if it has slight distortion, and DEFINITELY not what is advertised in the demo here. I've had this amp for almost a year and it just lacks any heavy power. Is this normal? It definitely does NOT sound as heavy as the audio demo here;
https://orangeamps.com/products/guitar- ... s/crush20/

Please advise.
Having seen the receipt I bought the amp in January 2018.

PBA
Rocker

Re: Crush 20 Distortion Weak?

Post by PBA » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:39 am

You have taken quite a while to post here! Is the amp still under warranty?
It's very difficult for anyone here to know if your amp has faults. You are best placed to decide that. However, the consensus would be that the Crush series is not lacking in distortion. More information may help someone to assist you in fault diagnosis.
Have you been able to compare the amp to others? Generally it would be good to review all of your signal chain to be sure which part isn't performing. That means; Guitar, Cables, Effects, Power supplies and then finally the amp.
How are you using it? What volume are you playing at? What kind of guitar(s) are you using?

Cam977

Re: Crush 20 Distortion Weak?

Post by Cam977 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:02 pm

I am using an epiphone Les Paul with recently installed EMG81/85 combo
I generally play at 8 o clock.
I use it to play metal.
I have played to barebones and with pedals and when I crank the gain it isn't as thunderous as it should be.
I got the amp less than a year ago so I assume it is.