PPC212 & EVM12L Zakk Wylde's

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Semetery

PPC212 & EVM12L Zakk Wylde's

Post by Semetery » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:38 am

Hi there!

So I got another Orange cab (it's an addiction!) and it's the PPC212. I have two 412's with the V30's and have 2 of the EVM12L Zakk's in a really cheap cab. I was wondering if I could swap them out from the cheap cab and put them into the PPC212 pretty straight forward like? Is there anything involved in the wiring or parts that would need changing or can I literally just switch them out and wire them as the V30's are and continue about my way? The EVM12L's are 8ohms, what impedance would I need to set my amps for?

And, just for curiosity's sake, does anyone have experience with these speakers, or the classic EVM's, in a PPC212? If so, like the sound or no?

Thanks again!

EDIT: Also, if the V30's are 8ohms, could I just put one of the EV's in and leave a V30 to mix them?

Paul86

Re: PPC212 & EVM12L Zakk Wylde's

Post by Paul86 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:59 am

I suspect you can swap your current speakers forthe EV's without much trouble. Double checking with a tech is always the wise thing to do if you're not an expert (like me). Believe, you don't want to skimp on a few bucks and then have major disaster blowing on your face. Been there, done that. Not nice.
As for the experience with EV's. I have an old Mesa cab, from the late 1980's, I believe. Bought it used, and it was heavily used by a local professional musician.
It is the best speaker I have, and it will make almost any amp sound better. Mind you, better is a very personal thing. They work for me, and for my playing situation (blues, blues rock). It responds well to pick attack, dynamics, and overall it's very responsive to your fingers. Guys coming from a celestion background tend to reject them at first, claiming they're sterile.
And by the way, two EV's? It's going to be heavy as hell.

Semetery

Re: PPC212 & EVM12L Zakk Wylde's

Post by Semetery » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:58 am

Thanks for the reply!

I got around to swapping them out today and they were trouble-free indeed. My God, those speakers sound incredible in the PPC212! The V30's are great, the EV's, to me, sound fantastic! I'm now craving a 412 of them but I would absolutely not want to have to lift it, perma-sitting on a dolly. You're right about that, even just the two is pretty freaking heavy. It went from 61lbs to 80 and it honestly feels like more. But with that great cost comes the great reward, tomorrow I'm going to put the EV 2x12 on top of a PPC412 with the V30's and see how it sounds together.

You're absolutely right on about the response and all else! It feels accurate, if that could be used in this context. Just super clear, picks up all the dynamics, absolutely lets you sound really as transparent (to my ears at least) as your amp of choice allows. I love how different they sound from the V30's but it's great to hear with the V30 2x12 as well.