AD30tc Whistling

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

tokyothief

Post by tokyothief » Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:02 pm

Hello,

I am new to orange amps and tube amps in general. I just tonight bought an AD30tc amp. Tried it out in the store and had no problems. After bringing it home and playing for an hour I noticed a high piercing sound coming from the amp. Is this a tube issue or something more troubling? Has anyone had this problem? If it is a tube, how do I know which one it is? Are there any places to buy official replacement tube other than direct from Orange? I presume the amp will not turn on if I take one of the tubes out? Again, I am very green to this whole realm so I would appreciate some guidance.

Thank,

William ([email protected])

tokyothief

Post by tokyothief » Thu Oct 02, 2003 3:12 am

Well I think I figured it out. Being new to tube amps I had to ask some questions. I did get hold of Adrian in the UK. He gave me some thought so I went with it. It appears to be a faulty tube receptacle on the first power tube next to the Rectifier. If you lightly tap on the tube harness you get a small echo through the speakers. Hitting the tube in question provided no noise. I switched that tube with the next one in line. The results were that no matter what tube was in that first slot, it produced to echo through the unit thus concluding there must be something wrong with the receptacle. Please feel free to expand on these findings if you have something to add.

Cheers~

heyes_ra

Post by heyes_ra » Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:48 am

Hello

I have recently noticed this problem too on channel 2 of my AD30TC combo. It seems like it is feedback from something, then when you get close, you realise it's your Orange. I never noticed this problem before, and as I was gigging regularly it probably wasn't happening. However, I had a car crash a few months back with the Orange in the boot and have noticed the whistling after the crash, so it probably didn't do it any good!

Anyone know if it's expensive to fix or if it simply requires valve changes?

Cheers

Rob