Orange Thunderverb 50 head and Carl Martin Octa-switch: channel switching..

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Dr_Spu

Orange Thunderverb 50 head and Carl Martin Octa-switch: channel switching..

Post by Dr_Spu » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:52 am

Hi all,
I'm Nicola and I own a great Thunderverb 50.
Now, I'd like to get a Carl Martin Octa-switch MK3 (https://carlmartin.com/wp-content/uploa ... ch-mk3.pdf) or MK2 (which is technically identical but bigger). The Octa-switch has two "external switches" for amp channel (or other amp's funtions) switching, but in the manual they say to check whether it is actually compatible with the amp's switching system. They also say that the external switches are lacthing-type, and I think that the thunderverb's are latching too, but I'd like to be sure about this. Thus: do anyone know for sure whether the Octa-switch's external switches actually work with Thunderverb footswitching system?

Thanks a lot,
Nicola

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Re: Orange Thunderverb 50 head and Carl Martin Octa-switch: channel switching..

Post by Hubaxe » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:12 am

There is absolutly no risk to give it a try.
I pilot my Orange amp with a midi switcher, and it works great. I guess it's latch type.

Dr_Spu

Post by Dr_Spu » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:51 am

Thanks Hubaxe. Sure there's no risk to try, but for the moment I have no possibility to "phisically" try the octa-switch + thunderverb combination and if possible I don't want to get the octa-switch and in give it back in case it does not work. Anyway, I guess that if your switcher works, probably so does the octa-switch. But, possibly, I'm looking for a sure answer.
Thanks again!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:36 pm

Pretty sure it would work for the channel switching. I use a TC Electronics G-System and it works fine with my AD30TC for channel switching.

Dr_Spu

Post by Dr_Spu » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:27 am

bclaire wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:36 pm
Pretty sure it would work for the channel switching. I use a TC Electronics G-System and it works fine with my AD30TC for channel switching.
Thanks for the info bclaire!

Dr_Spu

Post by Dr_Spu » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:05 pm

bclaire wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:36 pm
Hi bclaire!
I didn't know the g-system, so thank you for mentioned it. Actually, I eventually looked for some information about it and I realized that it would be an excellent option.
I have some question for you:
1) I read about an issue involving the impedance difference between the system and the fx loop of orange amps, which seems to cause serious problems: did you faced it? Or, if not, did you know something about it? In case, how to solve it? This would be very important in my case, because I would use the system in the 4 cable configuration.
2) The thunderverb's channel/attenuator/reverb controls work with a mono jack cable, whereas, if I got it right, the sw out 1 and 2 of the g-system are stereo. So, would I need "stereo jack-->2 mono jacks" cables or normal mono jacks cable will work as well?
3) In the 4 cable configuration, the loops of the systems (if I got it right) are placed in front of the amp: is there a way to place them in the fx loop chain in case I want to run extra modulation pedals?
Hope my questions are clear.

Thank you very much for your help!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:33 pm

You can run the G-System stereo or mono.

I run mine into the front of the amp not through an effects loop. I don't know how it would work that way so I can't answer questions about that. So all of my loops are pedals that want to see the front of the amp anyways so it works perfectly for me.