Two brand new Orange Rocker-32 Amps died in VERY short time

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

orange_failure

Two brand new Orange Rocker-32 Amps died in VERY short time

Post by orange_failure » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:14 pm

On May 6, 2017 I bought two Orange Rocker-32 Amplifiers from Guitar Showcase in San Jose, CA. One amp was for the studio and the other was for home. The store only had one in stock so I waited for the second amp to arrive (about a week and a half later).

When the second amp arrived to the store I picked that up, brought that to my house, and then moved the amp I had gotten earlier into the studio.

When I arrived at the store they were still unboxing the Orange Rocker-32 amps that had just arrived that day. The first that was unboxed had the speaker grill pushed in. The second that was unboxed had mold or dirt on the side. One of the guys at the store cleaned off the dirt - and since the dirty amp didn’t have a pushed in grill cloth I took that one home.

Two hours later the newly received amp died. The fuse blew. Lucky for me the store had ordered two Orange Rocker-32 amps so I was able to exchange immediately - that same day. Since the speaker grill was pushed in they told me they’d order another for me.

Exactly four weeks later the first Orange Rocker-32 amp died - fuse blew. That occurred at the start of band practice and the entire band had to wait for me to get a working solid-state amplifier.

So, at the moment I’m waiting for two brand new Orange Rocker-32 amplifiers. I’m in possession of one Orange Amp - which is a loaner that had the pushed in grill cloth.

The store feels quite bad about the incidents. I told them they need to test these amps a lot. Perhaps Orange doesn’t perform burn-in at all. All I know is 67% of brand new, out of the box, Orange Rocker-32 amps fail in a VERY short amount of time - rendering them 100% unusable.

Also, all three Orange Rocker-32 amps had/have static on the volume knob of the clean channel. The other knobs (dirty channel) seemed okay. It's quite loud - and I did make a video of that static on one amp. On all three amps it was just the clean channel volume that had static. It was most noticeable when the volume was set to low. The issue seems like a basic design flaw of some type. Perhaps the volume potentiometer on the clean channel is simply cheap and ill suited for an amplifier of this price point.

So, at this time, one month after spending over $2200, I’m still waiting for two Orange Rocker-32 amplifiers. Honestly, I’m not expecting them to work and definitely expect static on the volume knob.

I’ll be writing a letter to Orange to inform them of my experience. I certainly hope I’m not ignored on this issue.

I like the concept of the Orange Rocker-32, but all my band members told me I'd be a fool to stick with this brand.
=(

Summary

First Orange Rocker-32 Amp (sn 00923-0417)
Static on clean volume knob
Died exactly 4-weeks later (blows fuse)

Second Orange Rocker-32 Amp (sn 00857-0417)
Died in less than 2 hours (blows fuses)

Third Orange Rocker-32 Amp (sn 00858-0417)
Still works - expecting it to die any day

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Two brand new Orange Rocker-32 Amps died in VERY short time

Post by bclaire » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:46 pm

Sorry to hear that, but why would you buy amps that looked like that in the first place?

orange_failure

Post by orange_failure » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:54 pm

Guitar Showcase gave me a phone number to Orange. I'll be calling Orange tomorrow. I believe Guitar Showcase, an Orange dealer, will be talking to their rep about this issue. I'll also write a letter to Orange. When the new amps come into the store I'll shoot a video to show the static on the pots of an amp that cost $1100.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:06 pm

Sounds like a shipping company problem. Kept in moist environment, thrown around possibly, pushing grill cloth in, damaging tubes and causing fuses to blow.

orange_failure

Post by orange_failure » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:23 pm

Serial number 00923-0417 and 00857-0417 were not shipped together - yet, both died (symptom: fuse blown). In fact, 00923-0417 had been in the store for some time. Although, if I were to guess - maybe 923 and 857 aren't so far apart in a lot. However, based on what I already know (and haven't revealed) the amp is a poor quality amp. At a later time I'll publish my findings.

As for the volume pots - all three amps had static on the clean channel volume pot. I'll check the next two that arrive at the store to see if they also exhibit the same static on the clean channel volume pot.

I want to talk to Orange first - give the benefit of the doubt - I actually like the Orange amp - but, I can't use this amp in my band if it will randomly die. This problem has already delayed practice. My band probably wouldn't want me to take this amp to our next gig.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:33 pm

orange_failure wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:23 pm
Serial number 00923-0417 and 00857-0417 were not shipped together - yet, both died (symptom: fuse blown). In fact, 00923-0417 had been in the store for some time. Although, if I were to guess - maybe 923 and 857 aren't so far apart in a lot. However, based on what I already know (and haven't revealed) the amp is a poor quality amp. At a later time I'll publish my findings.

As for the volume pots - all three amps had static on the clean channel volume pot. I'll check the next two that arrive at the store to see if they also exhibit the same static on the clean channel volume pot.

I want to talk to Orange first - give the benefit of the doubt - I actually like the Orange amp - but, I can't use this amp in my band if it will randomly die. This problem has already delayed practice. My band probably wouldn't want me to take this amp to our next gig.
I don’t blame you if it’s not working right. A little surprised though. Hopefully Orange has a solution for you.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:38 pm

The static noise on the clean channel (only happens when you're turning the knob, right? Once it's set the noise stops?) Is most likely due to a defective preamp valve with DC leaks on the grid.

It's possible (if it happens on all 3) that Orange got a bad batch of preamp valves from their supplier.

The fuse blowing is difficult to assess. Usually symptomatic of power valve failure, it is possible you got really unlucky there, but difficult to tell for sure.

If the amps have been thrown around in transit (The pushed grill seems to indicate that), that would increase the valve failure risk.

Orange are usually pretty good with their customer service, hope it'll be all good in the end.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Gray
Orange Expert

Post by Gray » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:26 am

orange_failure wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:14 pm
The first that was unboxed had the speaker grill pushed in. The second that was unboxed had mold or dirt on the side. One of the guys at the store cleaned off the dirt - and since the dirty amp didn’t have a pushed in grill cloth I took that one home.
I would never accept an amp that had a kicked in baffle or mold/dirt on it, and i'm amazed they were comfortable selling it to you in that condition.

orange_failure

Post by orange_failure » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:18 am

I might never buy an Orange amp again.
Gray wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:26 am
I would never accept an amp that had a kicked in baffle or mold/dirt on it, and i'm amazed they were comfortable selling it to you in that condition.
Last edited by orange_failure on Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:48 am

orange_failure wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:21 am
https://youtu.be/v5SWzFVdYCw
I really don’t think it's a fair statement saying they are poorly built and designed amps. Something is not right in your situation and I understand your frustration. But they are excellent quality amps, well designed, better than many that I have opened up and worked on. I really hope this gets sorted out for you. I’d be asking for new tubes throughout from the store, should be warrantied. I’ve shipped amps with new tubes and when it arrived at the destination the amp no longer worked. New tubes would be installed and back to normal.
That does sound like DC voltage leaking into the pot. If you have some spare tubes try a swap.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:37 am

First of all, why haven't you brought them back to the store where you bought them instead of shooting a youtube video? There is something wrong with them and doing that video is just stupid and mean. Bring them back and get it sorted.

orange_failure

Post by orange_failure » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:18 pm

I disagree.
Jondog wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:48 am
I really don’t think it's a fair statement saying they are poorly built and designed amps.

orange_failure

Post by orange_failure » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:25 pm

First line of defense: blame the customer, call them names and make assumptions without asking questions first. Nice! While you're at it you could delete this thread too. But, that won't improve the poor quality of these amps.
bclaire wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:37 am
First of all, why haven't you brought them back to the store where you bought them instead of shooting a youtube video? There is something wrong with them and doing that video is just stupid and mean. Bring them back and get it sorted.
Last edited by orange_failure on Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:01 pm

orange_failure wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:25 pm
First line of defense: blame the customer, call them names and make assumptions without ask questions first. Nice! While you're at it you could delete this thread too. But, that won't improve the poor quality of these amps.
bclaire wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:37 am
So, were you looking for advice on what may be the issue, or to tell a bunch of happy Orange users that the amps we use suck? :?