AD15 valve rattle

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Ade
Orange Hero

AD15 valve rattle

Post by Ade » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:43 am

Hi

I understand valve rattle is not uncommon in combos and I’ve just noticed one of my EL84s rattling on my AS15. When playing, the rattle is most evident as a lower note decays. I suppose that makes sense. I should also add, these are EHX EL84s and they’d only be about six months old. Otherwise I’ve been happy with them and the amp sounds great.

The thing is, while it seems to be working perfectly, I can pull the offending valve out and actually hear something instide rattling when I shake it. Is this normal? It doesn’t seem overly microphonic when I do the pencil tap test (though the rattle can be heard), but I was just surprised it works in this condition.

Ade
Orange AD15/12 - Orange AD50 - 1975 PPC412

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: AD15 valve rattle

Post by Jondog » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:51 pm

With an oven mitt sometimes grabbing the tube with light pressure can help find it. If the rattle stops, a tube dampner can help once you’ve found the tube. Might also be better to replace with more durable tubes. Not saying EHX aren’t, I like them a lot and never had big issues with them.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:55 pm

I got some terrible rattling at volume in a combo once. I eventually found a washer between the speaker spider and cone.

The rattling got worse with volume. What that taught me is that any solid little piece of crap will make a right racket if caught in there.

If a valve rattles, it's gone microphonic. They shouldn't make noise.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:59 pm

Just wanted to add..... my AD15 has no rattles. Since I had it apart, I can say that nothing should rattle either.

However, it's possible something become loose inside the chassis and rattles against the metal box, but that shouldn't become amplified.

One last thing..... I've been wondering if the caps in my AD15 may need replacing soon. Almost 20 years now. For the electrolytics, that's very near the end of their rated lifespan........
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Ade
Orange Hero

Post by Ade » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:46 pm

Hi and thanks for the replies. I should clarify; it definitely is one of the EL84s that is rattling. In the past I’ve noticed the little wire valve retainers rattling but I’ve been able to isolate and stop that. In this instance it’s something inside one of the EL84s, so much so that when it cools down and I take both out, on shaking them, one is silent (as it should be) and the offending valve has an audible rattle.

I suppose I was just surprised that a valve could have an audible rattle (yes, I wondered whether as suggested this is a symptom of a valve going microphonic) yet for all intents and purposes, still function. Would I be right in assuming it’s possibly on its last legs and that I should get another matched pair?

Ade

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:00 am

Just replaced them.

If you do replace than, I've just switched from EL84 to Russian 6P14P EV NOS valves.

Just bought 12 via an eBay seller. Cost the same as regular EL84, but should last 10 times as long as they are military grade valves. They are rated for 5000 to 10000h, but I can't couch for the longevity yet. All I can say is that they sound incredible.

More about them here.
Ant

Ade
Orange Hero

Post by Ade » Wed May 02, 2018 9:08 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:00 am
Just replaced them.

If you do replace than, I've just switched from EL84 to Russian 6P14P EV NOS valves.

Just bought 12 via an eBay seller. Cost the same as regular EL84, but should last 10 times as long as they are military grade valves. They are rated for 5000 to 10000h, but I can't couch for the longevity yet. All I can say is that they sound incredible.

More about them here.
Thanks for that Ant. I just read that other post and my interest is definitely piqued. I might have to try a pair of those myself.

Ade