Rockerverb problem

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

RangeRover13

Rockerverb problem

Post by RangeRover13 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:21 pm

Hi guys,
Looking for same advice. Bought a mark1 Rockerverb combo very cheap recently. It was making a rattling noise at first rehearsal and my amp tech diagnosed an output valve and replaced it. In the last couple of days the volume especially on the dirty channel seems to have dipped and it seems very under powered. A/b it against the rocker 30 and the 30 blew it away. This was not the case 2 weeks ago, I a/b them and the Rockerverb sounded huge in comparison. Do you think this is valve related? I’m thinking I should just go for a complete revalve, give the amp some love. Are the JJ valves a good road to go down? Is there any others I should be considering?
Thanks in advance

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Rockerverb problem

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:48 pm

Is it the 100w or 50w MK I?

If 50w, the amp was designed around the JJ 6V6s, as they are the best current production 6V6.

Did your tech replace only a single output valve?

I would have expected him to recommend at least the pair to match them, or better yet the quartet.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

RangeRover13

Post by RangeRover13 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:02 pm

Hi,
Yes it is the 50 and he just replaced one as he had just one brand new one at his place. I have just ordered the full replacement JJ valve kit so hopefully this should sort it. The amp sounded great last week but I don’t think I’ve yet heard it at its best so looking forward to it

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:37 am

You will need to get it biased after changing all the power valves.

On a side note, your tech should really have changed at least the pair and rebiased it. Even if that meant waiting a few days for the correct valve to show up.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute