Micro Dark correct Headphones behaviour

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Saro

Micro Dark correct Headphones behaviour

Post by Saro » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:51 pm

Hi everyone,

I just bought a Micro Dark (with a PPC-108 cab) and it's my first Orange amp (and second amp of my life).

I bought it mainly to play it with the cab, as I already play a lot with a Scarlett Solo and headphones on my computer.

However, I was interested to try the MD with headphones and listen thorugh the SIMCAB. Once plugged the headphones in, I was expecting the sound stop coming out from the cab and playing from the headphones only, instead it sounds like the sound comes from both at the same time.

Is this normal? Does it mean I have to unplug the cab when using the headphones?

Thanks!

MojoBlaster

Re: Micro Dark correct Headphones behaviour

Post by MojoBlaster » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:24 am

I'm relatively sure you have to disconnect the speaker in order to isolate the headphones.
Just be sure to remember and plug the speaker in if headphones are not in plugged in.
CS Stratocaster, CS Telecaster, partscaster Cabronita, Orange AD50 CS, OR15H, PPC 112 x2, Victoria 45410, Strymon Flint, El Capistan, Sweet Honey OD, JHS Bolt, Keeley Comp, Tiny Orange Phaser, Peterson Classic tuner, Pedal Power 2 Plus.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:42 pm

I believe the head can run without a load thanks to the SS power section. Someone will have to confirm.

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:27 pm

When in doubt, read the manual:
https://orangeamps.com/downloads/micro-dark-manual/

Summary: Headphones do not mute the speaker. When headphones are plugged in, you can safely disconnect the speaker for headphones-only. If headphones are not plugged in, it says a speaker load must be connected.

In general, solid-state outputs are fine without a speaker load. I've looked up the output chip in my Micro Terror and the specs say it's fine without a load. But I'm not sure if the Micro Dark has the same chip.

In general, better safe than sorry.

And since the manual says it's ok to plug in headphones and then disconnect the speaker, there's really no reason to power it up without one or the other connected.

Saro

Post by Saro » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:56 pm

Hi again and thanks for your answers.

Yes, the manual was the first thing I went to read multiple times, but it sounded ambiguous to me. I guess the reason is that they give you the ability to play with both headphones and cabinet on, if you need it, and, as there's no switch to turn off any of the two, it's mainly based on which ones you plug.

I was worried to turn it on with headphones and no cabinet, that's why I took my time.

Thanks!

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:11 pm

Yeah, it is kinda weird. If the headphones don't shut off the signal to the power amp or turn off the power amp, then running it with no speaker should be exactly the same with or without headphones.

So I'm pretty sure that just like almost all solid-state amps, it should be safe with no speaker and no phones connected.

Just not sure enough to tell anyone to go ahead and try it.
---------------------------
I've noticed a trend lately where manufacturers say speakers must be connected to solid-state amps. Marshall says it with the Code 100 head, Fender says it on several models.

My guess is that they don't want people to get confused with tubes vs solid-state.

St8kout

Post by St8kout » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:29 am

At the very bottom of the owner's manual, "If the Phones jack is not in use, a suitable speaker cabinet must be connected at all times during use." It also says both may be plugged in at the same time, (obviously so you can monitor the sound if you are using the headphone jack for recording, as they recommend).

You should NEVER run ANY amp without speakers or headphones. And even then, the recommended speaker impedance must be used. From Home Theater A/V amps to your car stereo, you're just asking for problems if the speakers are not connected. Most companies will tell you that in the owner's manual. When I was hooking up my Sony Home Theater amp, almost every page had that speaker warning, with threats of voiding the warranty.