Dual Dark 100 Bias Numbers?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

dacop131313

Dual Dark 100 Bias Numbers?

Post by dacop131313 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:37 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know what the Bias mV number would be for a Dual Dark 100 using four matched EL34 tubes?

I called Orange USA and they told me they couldn't give me that info??? I am not sure why. Who am I supposed to get it from? He then said check with a certified Orange tech. So if there are any out there that would be great. Or if you have any knowledge of the numbers these amps run well at, please share.

Thanks!
DC

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Dual Dark 100 Bias Numbers?

Post by bclaire » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:47 pm

dacop131313 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:37 pm
Hello,

Does anyone know what the Bias mV number would be for a Dual Dark 100 using four matched EL34 tubes?

I called Orange USA and they told me they couldn't give me that info??? I am not sure why. Who am I supposed to get it from? He then said check with a certified Orange tech. So if there are any out there that would be great. Or if you have any knowledge of the numbers these amps run well at, please share.

Thanks!
DC
None of us are techs.

Since we have no idea whether a person is eight or eighty on the forum nor do we have any idea of your electrical prowess, the policy is NOT to offer bias information on here. (The voltages inside your amp whether plugged in or not, can severely injure you) An amp tech can request information although a good amp tech probably wouldn't have to.

Sorry we can't help....

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:04 pm

Theres not really a set number. It's based off the set of tubes being used and needs to be measured and calculated with the amp powered up. Which is why they told you to use a tech.

dacop131313

Post by dacop131313 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:46 am

Noted and thanks!

Just a note, non techs bias their own Marshall amps all the time. Its not rocket science. Techs charge way too much $$$ to do this simple job. I guess Orange amps are different then Marshall.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:20 am

dacop131313 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:46 am
Noted and thanks!

Just a note, non techs bias their own Marshall amps all the time. Its not rocket science. Techs charge way too much $$$ to do this simple job. I guess Orange amps are different then Marshall.
Every amp is different and every tube set is different. If you want to bias by yourself, get on google and get reading. Learn how the amp works, what bias is, what affects bias, and how to adjust it. Then learn the different parts of an amp and how to work on an energized amp safely. Buy a DMM and at least one bias probe (preferably 2 or more) and bias the amp.

It is a simple job when you have the background knowledge. But it's also a very dangerous job. It's like anything else. If you don't want to pay someone with specialized knowledge and tools, you need to go get the specialized knowledge and tools. There's a lot more to it than a "mV number".
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:22 am

dacop131313 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:46 am
Noted and thanks!

I have known people who have biased their own amps. Usually, they don't sound good and when things go wrong it's an expensive visit to the amp tech.

Biasing an amp isn't expensive, it's what you do.

dacop131313

Post by dacop131313 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:51 pm

Thanks Guys, noted on all. I have biased MANY Marshall, Fender and Egnater amps without issue. Its a VERY easy task that takes 30 mins at best, beats losing your amp for a week or longer. I guess the Orange world is different, no numbers.

Not sure what you mean by "when things go wrong". The only harm done is your tubes will burn faster and hotter, meaning short tube life. You can not damage an amp with any wrong bias setting. Some guys run them hotter then specified, some colder. Hotter burns tubes faster, thats the only harm.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:46 pm

dacop131313 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:51 pm
Thanks Guys, noted on all. I have biased MANY Marshall, Fender and Egnater amps without issue. Its a VERY easy task that takes 30 mins at best, beats losing your amp for a week or longer. I guess the Orange world is different, no numbers.

Not sure what you mean by "when things go wrong". The only harm done is your tubes will burn faster and hotter, meaning short tube life. You can not damage an amp with any wrong bias setting. Some guys run them hotter then specified, some colder. Hotter burns tubes faster, thats the only harm.
There are no published numbers that I’m aware of. You should go by the tube manufacturer’s specs. Set it where it sounds best to your ears without exceeding the manufacturer’s maximum. Standard “safe bet” is to set it around 70% of max recommend dissipation. You can go higher, but as you said, at the detriment of tube life.

You can certainly damage an amp by biasing it too hot. When tubes fail, they often take control grid and screen grid resistors with them. You can also cause arcing across the sockets, necessitating their replacement.
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:50 pm

dacop131313 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:51 pm

Cool. You have an oscilloscope?

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:08 pm

Just biasing an amp with a certain voltage number instead of taking measurements and calculating is as good as biasing it by ear. It’s just a number and doesn’t tell you if the tubes are biased hot or cold. You can bias it that way sure if you’re not worried about tube life. I think mA is a better general readng to use than voltsge. I think the divo tries to maintain 35mA.

Six Stringer

Post by Six Stringer » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:41 pm

EL34 - 36 mA