OR15 strange volume behaviour

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

perbra

OR15 strange volume behaviour

Post by perbra » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:55 am

After working working just fine some 2 years my OR15 have a strange behaviour when turning it on. It is just like both volume pots are bypassed and goes on full volume. And without touching it also produce oracles and noise. If you touch the input jack it is like switching the volume pots on and off. But if you leave the amp on for 30 minutes it sound wonderful. I have had it to a pro tech, but he did not find anything wrong with it. However the problem have increased. Have tried to swap tubes. I have opened it and try to find a poor connection or something without success. Any suggestions.

regards
Per

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: OR15 strange volume behaviour

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:57 pm

If you have changed the valves, that's the only thing you can do yourself.

You will need to find another tech who can diagnose the issue.

It could be a number things. Difficult to give more advice from afar.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

PBA
Rocker

Re: OR15 strange volume behaviour

Post by PBA » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:00 pm

If your tech didn't find anything wrong, you might need to find a new tech...

If you trust your tech it might be worthwhile arranging to be there when he checks it.

Valves are ALWAYS a highly cause and after two years it's certainly worth replacing the power valves (pre-amp valves - possibly but start with Power valves). You can do it yourself. You need a matched pair of EL84 valves. JJ were original equipment on my OR15. JJ or EHX should be fine and not too expensive. Preamp valves are 12AX7 and one 12AY7. Start with ONE 12AX7 and try it in all the positions one at a time. If the amp gets better, it is likely that only the one valve was failing.

Loud volume and crackles might indicate something other than valves though. Clean all the potentiometers and jack sockets. That might help too.