PPC112 Speaker Swap

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Hambone

PPC112 Speaker Swap

Post by Hambone » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:20 pm

I just bought a used PPC112 for my AD30 single channel head. I'm thinking about swapping out the stock V30 and I'm really partial to Celestion G12H30 anniversary speakers with this amp. Right now I have one in an open back Egnater 112. Has anybody put a G12H30 in a PPC112? How does it sound in an closed back cab? I could grab the 50 watt elite version made for Egnater to keep the cab closer to the 60 watt rating with the stock V30.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: PPC112 Speaker Swap

Post by a.hun » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:48 am

I really doubt you'd have any problems running a single H-30 with the AD30. Celestion (unlike most other makes) have always been very conservative with their power ratings, and their speakers rated for 'X' watts will basically handle amps rated for 'X' watts RMS even when the amp is fully cranked into distortion and putting out rather more power. There are a few exceptions eg some older amps with unrealistically conservative power ratings (like some old Marshalls), or amps which can put out much higher momentary peak power levels than normal for their continuous power rating (eg the Rocker 30). (For the second reason I didn't fit my nice old H-30 to my R.30C - don't want to blow that!)

I don't honestly think the AD30 fits either category though. Only real issue (imo) would be if you wanted to avoid speaker breakup as part of your sound...

If you did want a similar sounding but higher rated driver they are out there. The CL80 is one, just with a 1dB lower sensitivity rating (barely noticable difference). Or the G12H-75 Creamback, identical 100dB sensitivity rating and 75W rated. (Few quid more, but not that drastic if you shop around.) Scumback also do Celestion style drivers with various power ratings.
If you fancied a more efficient (even louder!) alternative the Mesa Celestion MC90 will do a good impression of 2 H-30s with 90W handling - superb driver. An MC90 loaded 1x12 cab was noticably louder than a G12M25 loaded 4x12 cab when we compared them directly in the studio, so a good couple of dB more efficient than the G12-H30 anyway, much the same difference as adding a second one... :D

A closed back cab will be more directional (less even sound spread around the room) with a tighter (NOT the same as fuller!!!) low end. Prefer open backed cabs myself but those drivers work fine in either.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Hambone

Post by Hambone » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:43 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply! I have been using the G12H in the Egnater cab. I never get close to diming it, so I wasn't worried about the wattage. I tried a Greenback, a Creamback and an Alnico Gold in the Egnater, and I kept coming back to the G12H! I really love how it sounds.

I'm thinking about converting the PPC112 to an open back. I don't really need huge, tight low end, that's what I have a bass amp for.

Hambone

Post by Hambone » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:53 pm

Resurrecting this thread. Has anybody put a WGS Reaper HP in their PPC112? I'm looking at a good deal on one and I'm curious to try it. I still have the stock V30 in mine, but I've never really bonded with it. It sounds great in a live setting, but most of what I do is low to mid volume studio work and it sounds kind of meh. I've heard the Warehouse G12H30 clones sound good at lower volumes.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:02 pm

Not in a 1x12, but I had them in a 2x12. Really liked them, but found they were better with a V30 type mixed with them, they compliment each other well. They are a bit dark on their own.

Hambone

Post by Hambone » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:44 pm

Thanks!