VT-1000 Valve Tester Fails All Tubes

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

s-fresh

VT-1000 Valve Tester Fails All Tubes

Post by s-fresh » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:56 pm

Hello All, This is my first post here. I have a VT-1000 Valve Tester. It's been great as a simple way for a layman to test and "match" tubes, but recently it has stopped working. When I put a tube in, select the type, then start the test it looks like it is working for a while, then fails the tube. From that point on every tube I insert (pre-amp, EL-84, or bigger power tubes like 6L6 or EL-34) immediately fails. If I unplug the unit for a while then plug it back in, it will look like it might work again then fails the next tube within a few seconds. From there all tubes fail immediately again until I unplug the unit for a while. These are all good tubes I have tested before without any issues.

I bought this unit used and I doubt there is any warranty a this point. Any ideas where to start in figuring this out? I hate to give up on the unit as it was expensive and I've got a lot of benefit out of it.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: VT-1000 Valve Tester Fails All Tubes

Post by bclaire » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:53 pm

Hmm... not sure what to say about this without thinking about it for a bit.

I doubt there's anything remotely user-friendly in there to check and I haven't seen a schematic for one. I would try contacting Orange USA directly and see if they can offer some advice (maybe call?). I have never opened mine up so I don't know what it looks like in there. Sorry for not being more helpful - if I think of anything, I'll let you know.

EDIT: where are you located? (Contacting Orange USA won't work if you're in the UK) :mrgreen:

s-fresh

Post by s-fresh » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:51 am

Thanks for the reply, bclaire! I am in sunny California, USA. I'll send them an email as well in the hopes they can provide some direction.

ilcaccillo

Post by ilcaccillo » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:45 pm

Hello,
I have the same issue that you described with this unit,
unfortunately they all seem to fail.

I tried to contact Orange several times so I could send the unit to repair but never got a reply.
If anyone knows how to contact the Orange repair department please let me know.

Were you able to send your unit for repair?

Thanks

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:24 am

ilcaccillo wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:45 pm
Hello,
I have the same issue that you described with this unit,
unfortunately they all seem to fail.

I tried to contact Orange several times so I could send the unit to repair but never got a reply.
If anyone knows how to contact the Orange repair department please let me know.

Were you able to send your unit for repair?

Thanks
Sorry you have had issues with your tube tester - since you posted the same thing in like, four threads this morning. Personally, I have had nothing but good results with mine.