Upgrading amp soon and question

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Lyric
Tiny Terror

Upgrading amp soon and question

Post by Lyric » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:56 am

So currently I’m running a Crush Pro CR120H and Crush Pro Compact 4x12 but from some of my recent post you may find that I’ve become a little disappointed in many ways lol. Talked with the fiancé who agreed to let me buy a new Rockerverb 100 MKiii :D :D :D

Anyways I know I can use the 4x12 Crush Pro cabinet with the Rockerverb 100 MKiii but would there be any benefits to getting the full size PPC412? I know the PPC412 uses Celestion Vintage 30’s and my current Crush Pro 4x12 compact uses Voice of The World speakers. I’ve read VOTW speakers are Oranges knockoff of the Celestion Vintage 30.

Anyways besides speakers obviously any other benefits? I do realize there is a major weight difference but this is not a concern at all, trust me weight is of no concern. Is the construction better? Is the sound better with being bigger cabinet? With the speakers not being so compacted and further spaced does it help the sound? My Crush Pro 4x12 has great construction. But just weighing everything :D

Anyways give your opinions, thank you :D
17' Taylor 814CE
10' Manuel Rodriguez Cocobolo
14' Fender Limited Edition LoneStar Strat
16' Fender Classic Player 60's Jazzmaster
15' Fender Classic Player Jaguar
17' Reverend Double Agent 20th Anniversary
04' Ibanez SA220

Orange CR120H/Crush Pro 4x12

PBA
Rocker

Re: Upgrading amp soon and question

Post by PBA » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:30 pm

Everything is subjective. In reality, it probably depends on how you use it as to how much of a difference you'll hear.

Besides speakers obviously any other benefits? - Kudos :D (plus see below)
Is the construction better? Probably better materials. I suspect the plywood is thicker. Care and attention will be similar but quality control might be expected to be higher.
Is the sound better with being bigger cabinet? Yes.
With the speakers not being so compacted and further spaced does it help the sound? Yes.
My Crush Pro 4x12 has great construction. Maybe. I'm absolutely positive that both cabs are put together by people with very little interest in the quality of their work beyond being good enough to pass any QA checks. If there is a difference in quality it will be inherent in the design. Both are built to a price point. The larger cab is built to a higher price point - You can figure out the rest!

The change in speakers is really down to personal taste. Remember that V30s are notorious for taking a long time to break in...

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:32 pm

If you can afford the PPC412 to go along with it go for it. Buy once cry once. The PPC412 is one of the best sounding 412 cabs available, or so I've come to find in my travels. I've never been crazy about the VOTW speakers then again I've never played a set that is broken in. Take your new amp and old cab to a store that has a PPC412 and do a shootout. It's the only way to know for sure.

robbvant

Post by robbvant » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:21 pm

I think your money would be better spent on the v30 cab.
I have a cr60 and upgraded to a v30 and got a PPC112 v30 for a mini stack and the tone and power are night and day difference. Sounds very close to a rockerverb now.
Go to a music store and try out both combinations.

C4th

Post by C4th » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:04 am

Not sure where you are based, but Zilla cabs are fantastic. All custom, really reasonable price and sound superb.