Replacing speakers in PPC412 -- issues?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

JMac

Replacing speakers in PPC412 -- issues?

Post by JMac » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:39 am

I'm thinking of swapping the speakers in one of my PPC412s (or picking up another used one), in order to recreate the 8-ohm "high power" cab to run with my TV200. The PPC412HP8 is hard to find, especially in the black tolex that I'd prefer for the project.

I've only swapped a speaker once before -- in a 1x12 combo amp, so there wasn't anything to screw up there... Would this project be as simple as installing four 8-ohm G12K100 speakers with the same wiring pattern as the V30s? What potential problems could I run into? (I'm not interested in trying to replicate the stereo capability of the PPC412HP8, by the way.)

It's not that I've felt my TV200 is lacking anything, running at 100 watts through a regular 16-ohm PPC412; this is just one of those ideas that gives me a bad case of GAS... :)

Thanks

Rlw59
Rocker

Re: Replacing speakers in PPC412 -- issues?

Post by Rlw59 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:54 am

It's just as easy as replacing a speaker in a combo.

Yes, just duplicate the existing wiring. With multiple speakers you have to get the "+" and "-" correct on each speaker -- just pay attention.

When you take the screws out of the back panel, you'll probably find it's stuck tight. Most people use a thin screwdriver in the joints to pry it out, but that can leave dents. Take the jackplate off, then you can stick your fingers in and pull the panel loose. (It can be stuck real tight -- just pull hard, it's not glued.)

Sometimes, speaker gaskets stick to the baffle board. If so, if you just yank the speakers loose they'll often tear off bits of the gaskets. Use a single-edge razor blade, or take a blade out of a utility knife and slowy gently work your way under and around.

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:01 am

Oh oh oh

Usually there's enough slack in the wires that you can remove the back without removing the jack from the jackplate. But there's not a ton of extra length.

So pay attention to the wires when maneuvering the back. Easy to rip the wires loose from the jack. (No big deal if you can solder.)

JMac

Post by JMac » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:38 am

Thanks much!