Micro crush don't turn on after one year not used

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Cagarruto

Micro crush don't turn on after one year not used

Post by Cagarruto » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:12 pm

Hi,

I have a Micro crush pix I use to practice at home, but since last year I couldn't and I didn't used until yesterday.

It does not turn on with the AC power supply but it will with the battery. Although, with the battery sound is really bad, and tuner doesn't work... feeling is that it's not getting enough power.

Checked power supply, it's ok, and fresh new battery.

Any thoughts?

PBA
Rocker

Re: Micro crush don't turn on after one year not used

Post by PBA » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:43 pm

Where are you located? It seems unlikely that available wall power would be an issue.

The first thing to do is try different wall outlets and to change the fuse(s).

When you say it sounds bad on battery power, do you mean actually bad or just not as good as you had experienced with wall power?

It does sound like there might be several things not working properly. Has it been stored somewhere it might have become damp?

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:42 pm

When an amp sits for a long time, film and corrosion can build up on the jacks. Dirty input jack and dirty power jack could explain all your symptoms.

Try inserting and removing the plugs many times quickly. That might be all it takes to fix it.

If not, get a spray can of "electrical contact cleaner", spray some into the jacks and repeat inserting and removing the plugs many times quickly.

The fact that it turns on and makes sound with batteries means the electronics inside the amp work.

The bad sound with batteries and non working tuner could be due to a very weak signal from the guitar making it through a dirty input jack.

Cagarruto

Post by Cagarruto » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:08 pm

PBA wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:43 pm
Where are you located? It seems unlikely that available wall power would be an issue.

The first thing to do is try different wall outlets and to change the fuse(s).

When you say it sounds bad on battery power, do you mean actually bad or just not as good as you had experienced with wall power?

It does sound like there might be several things not working properly. Has it been stored somewhere it might have become damp?
I tried different wall outlets, and I know for sure the power supply works.

Now I tried again with battery and it was better for about 10-15 minutes and then went bad again: Crispy dirt sound and almost no amplifying the guitar, using the clean channel.

It has been stored in a carton box inside a cabinet, so no damp for sure.

I will try to clean jack input as other answrr suggest, but I don't get why the works with battery and not with power supply...

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:52 pm

Cagarruto wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:08 pm

I will try to clean jack input as other answrr suggest, but I don't get why the works with battery and not with power supply...
Are you sure the power supply is correct for the amp? Some of those amps are center positive and some center negative. If it's the correct power supply then it must a bad connection at the power input jack or inside the amp somewhere. Strange though that using a battery the sound quality comes and goes.
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001