My Micro Dark Terror is too quiet

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

OzGuitar2017

My Micro Dark Terror is too quiet

Post by OzGuitar2017 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:52 pm

I just bought a Micro Dark Terror amp and I have it hooked up through a 8ohm 2x12 Marshall Cab. it is worrying me that its VERY quiet even at full volume. I also have a Hotone Mojo diamond amp (5W Solidstate) and that amp is easily 4x louder at just half way! please help me out, btw the valve inside doesnt light up, could that be an issue? :(

Rlw59
Rocker

Re: My Micro Dark Terror is too quiet

Post by Rlw59 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:52 am

The tube is mostly inside the chassis, and the tube has a silver coating on top (inside the glass). You have to be in a darkened room and look at it from a variety of angles to see if it's glowing.

Or you can take the top cage off and briefly touch the tube to see if it's hot (the glow is from the heater filament -- it's the heat that makes a tube work.)

But there's something wrong. Micro's are very loud. Maybe not as loud as an all-tube 20 watt amp, but louder than most 20 watt solid-state output sections.

I've never tried running my Micro Terror without a tube, so I don't know if it would make any noise at all with a dead tube. (And I don't have any dead tubes in my tube drawer.) I hope you'll forgive me for not being willing to test it. I know it would be safe for an all tube amp, but IC chips are more of a mystery to me. If you've got a spare tube it wouldn't hurt to try it. (You could use a 12AT7, 12AU7, 5751 -- it doesn't have to be a 12AX7.)

Otherwise, if it's brand new, exchange it.

------------------

I once plugged my guitar into the headphone jack and was baffled for a couple of minutes because no sound was coming out of my speakers.

So again, please forgive me for asking if you've got your speaker plugged into the headphone jack. That might have enough output to get quiet sound out of an efficient speaker.