Multi-effects connection

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Gregf

Multi-effects connection

Post by Gregf » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:17 am

Hi. I recently purchased the Orange Crush 35RT Amp, and love the sound. I have a modeler/multieffects processor (vox stomplab iig). I’d like to try the processor with the amp, but don’t want to damage the amp. I have 4 questions:

1) will it damage the amp to go from guitar -> multieffects processor-> amp instrument input?

2) will it damage the amp to put the multieffects processor in the effects loop?

3) will it damage the amp to go from guitar -> multieffects processor -> effects loop return (bypassing the preamp)?

4) should the multieffects processor be set to output line level for any of the above?

Thank you.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Multi-effects connection

Post by Jondog » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:07 pm

Either scenario should be fine. The stomplab should be designed for those specific uses I would think. Does it have output level options? Use instrument level in the amp input, not familiar with thevdesignnof the loop on Crush amps, but instrument level is lower output than line level so I would try instrument level first. A loud signal shouldn’t damage it, just sound bad if it’s not designed for it.

Gregf

Post by Gregf » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:25 pm

Thank you for the reply Jondog.

Stomplab output options are:

A1: “for connecting to typ UK style open-back combo”
A2: “for connecting to typ US style open-back combo”
A3: “for connecting to stack-type amp”
Ln: “for connecting to line input”

The instructions only show connecting to the amp instrument input (they don’t mention using in an effects loop).

The amp literature says it has a “buffered” effects loop. I think that means it compensates for whatever is in the effects loop.

So seems like any of the 3 scenarios is ok to try, and don’t use line output from the stomplab unless volume is low, then try line output only if nessesssary?

For scenario 3, can I damage the preamp by bypassing it? I’ve noted that plugging an open cable to “return” will silence the amp (in case that info is useful).

Thank you.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:23 pm

You won’t damage the amp bypassing the preamp. The amp preamp goes silent with the cable in the loop return because its a series effects loop, which is good in this case. The buffer in the loop brings the amplified signal down at the send jack to a level suitable for gear like pedals and when it enters the return jack, boosts it back up to it’s original level (hopefully). I’m not familiar with either piece of gear, but generally I think you have the idea.

Gregf

Post by Gregf » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:39 pm

Jondog, I appreciate your taking time to assist me. Thank you very much!