Running JRT Send into Return of CR120C ?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Gordy G
Tiny Terror

Running JRT Send into Return of CR120C ?

Post by Gordy G » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:59 am

Do I need to use some sort of load box from the Speaker out of my JRT,if I want run the "send" into the "return" of a CR120C ?
If so any suggestions what I'd need, but i'd prefer something that dosen't cost as much as the Amps,i'm cheap :mrgreen:

Rlw59
Rocker

Re: Running JRT Send into Return of CR120C ?

Post by Rlw59 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:02 pm

Yes, the JRT will still be sending a signal to its output tubes and they'll be trying to send power to a speaker.

Since you're not trying to capture the tone of the JRT's output tubes you'd just need the simplest load box. Just a big 8 or 16 ohm resistor rated for 30watts or more with a heatsink.

You don't want to risk having the resistor melt, which is why you need a higher rating than the amp can put out. Safer to use two or more resistors hooked up in parallel, so that if any fails you'll still have some load on the JRT.

Cheapest way is to build one. $10 or so.

Weber makes reasonably priced reliable load boxes. Lots of other companies too, though mostly higher priced.

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:10 pm

Couple things that could help people give you better answers.

If you edit your user profile to include your location, people would know whether to suggest US or European or Japanese suppliers of load boxes.

And if you tell us why you want to do this, exactly what you're trying to achieve, we might have alternate suggestions.

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:23 pm

Just looked up the CR120C and noticed it doesn't have a headphone output, so that eliminates my first guess why you want to do this. (Assumed you wanted the JRT silent so you could use the CR's headphone out with the JRT.)

If you want more volume, why not hook your cab to the JRT and hear both amps?

jontheid
Orange Expert

Post by jontheid » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:30 pm

My guess is the op likes the sound of the JRT preamp, but wants more power.
They'll get a tube preamp with a solid-state power amp, effectively.

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:20 pm

Yep, that's my second guess. But if he just wants more volume, I'm wondering why not hook up a cab to the JRT and have sound from both amps?

Portability? Does he have a 412 for the JRT and not want to haul all that around?

Does he not have a cab and normally hooks the CR120C's speakers to the JRT when he uses the JRT?

Compact lightweight used 112's aren't that much more expensive than commercial load boxes. Even cheaper if you find an old nonworking solid state amp and just use it as a cab.

Gordy G
Tiny Terror

Post by Gordy G » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:00 am

Thanks for the replies.
Firstly, I don't know what happened to my profile settings,but the page was blank?,i have now restated my location :)
I want to use the JRT into the CR120C insert,just to hear what it sounds like using the JRT with S/S power amp section of the 120,
a: to give me more output for noisy gigs.
b:it will enable me to maintain a decent output with the JRT gain rolled back for a bit cleaner sound & i think it may give me more scope with the JRT.
c:i'm not sure what signal is output from the JRT,because the signal goes up & down with Volume knob,i'm not sure if the power valves are bypassed or output from the send(if i'm making this clear?)i would have thought the send was between pre/power section,but i'm probably wrong,i've never used an effects loop(none of my pevious amps have had one).
d: I want to use the 120C speakers,without another cab connected to the JRT,the 120C takes up a lot of space on small pub gigs,where my playing is nowadays & i'm just curious how the set up will work.
Hope this makes things a bit clearer.

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:10 pm

OK, my first reply was correct for your purposes.

Most loops do break the connection between the preamp and poweramp entirely. But usually that's when something is plugged into the return , not when something is plugged into the send.

But the loop doesn't turn off the power amp. The output tubes will still be amplifying hiss, hum, and any stray snaps crackles and pops.

So for your amp's health it will need to be connected to a load box.

If you can solder and like building things, there are schematics on Google. It's a very simple project.

If you buy, there are some other options to consider. There are speaker-level DI boxes that can also function as load boxes. When you're not using the CR as a slave, you can use the DI to send a line level signal to a PA or recording device. (H&K's Redbox has a speaker emulator built in.)

Most attenuators can be used as a load box, and many have a line-out also so they can be used as a DI too.

You might ask your bandmates and guitarist friends if they have an attenuator, DI, or loadbox you could borrow to see if you get the results you want.

(Not all DI's and attenuators can be used as load boxes -- if you find one to borrow be sure to check the manufacturer's website.)

Gordy G
Tiny Terror

Post by Gordy G » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:21 pm

Rlw59 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:10 pm
OK, my first reply was correct for your purposes.

Most loops do break the connection between the preamp and poweramp entirely. But usually that's when something is plugged into the return , not when something is plugged into the send.

But the loop doesn't turn off the power amp. The output tubes will still be amplifying hiss, hum, and any stray snaps crackles and pops.

So for your amp's health it will need to be connected to a load box.

If you can solder and like building things, there are schematics on Google. It's a very simple project.

If you buy, there are some other options to consider. There are speaker-level DI boxes that can also function as load boxes. When you're not using the CR as a slave, you can use the DI to send a line level signal to a PA or recording device. (H&K's Redbox has a speaker emulator built in.)

Most attenuators can be used as a load box, and many have a line-out also so they can be used as a DI too.

You might ask your bandmates and guitarist friends if they have an attenuator, DI, or loadbox you could borrow to see if you get the results you want.

(Not all DI's and attenuators can be used as load boxes -- if you find one to borrow be sure to check the manufacturer's website.)
Rlw59,thanks for the help & advice,funilly enough I've been looking at the H&K redbox,instead of mic'ing.
As an aside i've also looked hard at the GM40 DL,to try & drag myself into a modern full featured Amp,but every vid I've heard & seen is very Metal inspired,which I don't or "can't"(to be more accurate) do :D

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:22 pm

Ooops! I thought the Red Box could be used as a load box, but I just double-checked and no, it needs a load box connected to the speaker out for silent DI.