Using Dark Terror with a slave?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Hotfuzz

Using Dark Terror with a slave?

Post by Hotfuzz » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:32 am

I have some tones dialed in with the DT that I love and I was wondering if there was a way to make this thing louder...

My idea is to use a tube power amp such as the Mesa rack mount unit with the DT in front of it. I am assuming I would run out of the effects send of the dark terror into the input of the standalone power amp. What do I do about the output section of the Dark Terror? I know it needs a load attached to it so I was thinking of looking into one of those dummy load devices.

So if I have this correct in my mind the signal chain would be - guitar > dark terror input > fx loop out > pedals > power amp in > speakers. The on the DT have the speaker out go to a dummy load.

Is this correct?

Rlw59
Rocker

Re: Using Dark Terror with a slave?

Post by Rlw59 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:32 am

That should be correct.

Typically for slaving, the fx send of the smaller amp goes to the fx return of a bigger guitar amp.

I'm not sure what sort of input voltage a Mesa rack amp wants to see. Most effect loops are close to instrument level (so as not to overdrive effects); not sure how close that is to line level.

Unless portability is a major issue, I'd hook the Dark Terror to a cab instead of a dummy load. Might as well let it add to the volume. (Unless part of your motive is to revoice the amp by using EL34's, 6L6's or something other than EL84's.)

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:48 am

Fryette Power Station. Bad Cat Unleash is OK too.

Hotfuzz

Post by Hotfuzz » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:40 am

Yeah the Fryette unit looks much more interesting than the Mesa power amp. It doubles as an attenuator too so I could dime my amp when I'm home.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:45 am

One of the popular Youtube gear review shows (can’t think of the name, those guys the D&M Drive is named after, Doug and Mike?) ran a Tiny Terror through the Fryette and were blown away by it.