Rattling/crackling Orange CR120 and Crush Pro 4x12 - UPDATE & Short Video

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

OrangeBoy
Tiny Terror

Re: Rattling/crackling Orange CR120 and Crush Pro 4x12 - UPDATE & Short Video

Post by OrangeBoy » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:16 am

Sounds like Op Amp distortion to me. Happens when the signal is too high for an Op Amp to handle and it starts to clip the signal in an unpleasant way. Perfectly normal, Op Amps have their limits like any other amp but they don't clip an a pleasant way like a tube amp, for example. The Bax Bangeetar can have similar sounding distortion characteristics depending on input signal and settings. My CR60 is capable of doing it too.

Lyric
Tiny Terror

Post by Lyric » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:44 am

OrangeBoy wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:16 am
Sounds like Op Amp distortion to me. Happens when the signal is too high for an Op Amp to handle and it starts to clip the signal in an unpleasant way. Perfectly normal, Op Amps have their limits like any other amp but they don't clip an a pleasant way like a tube amp, for example. The Bax Bangeetar can have similar sounding distortion characteristics depending on input signal and settings. My CR60 is capable of doing it too.
So I guess if it’s something I’m not happy with then the best route is to switch out. I’m thinking about going with a Rockerverb 100 MKiii sometime next year or something else. Surely this would be much better lol.

This might be a dumb question but is there possibly any kind of mod to do or try? I’m assuming not but hell I’ll ask anyways lol

I pulled the head out of the head cabinet the other day and snapped a bunch of pics. I’ve located a bunch of clipping diodes.

Found this, if you see what Dark Helmet says about the crackle and clipping:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45856
17' Taylor 814CE
10' Manuel Rodriguez Cocobolo
14' Fender Limited Edition LoneStar Strat
16' Fender Classic Player 60's Jazzmaster
15' Fender Classic Player Jaguar
17' Reverend Double Agent 20th Anniversary
04' Ibanez SA220

Orange CR120H/Crush Pro 4x12

OrangeBoy
Tiny Terror

Post by OrangeBoy » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:05 am

The first time I became aware of Op Amp distortion was when I started using an MI Effects Super Blues Pro. It has a selection that all clipping diodes can be switched out of the circuit leaving only the Op Amp to provide amplification with no clipping. Well, I found, depending on input and were the controls were set, that it produces an unpleasant fizzy distortion to the notes as they trail off. Sounds very similar to the sound your CR120 makes. So... I researched and found that Op Amps are capable of distorting when pushed. When clipping diodes are added into the circuit the Op Amp distortion is masked by the smoother clipping of the diodes, which is much more pleasant sounding. The Marshall Bluesbreaker II pedal has the same fizzy distortion when in boost mode because it's Op Amp amplification without clipping diodes (as much as I understand it). The fizziness in boost mode ruined an otherwise good sounding pedal so I got rid of it. Since then I have become aware of it with my CR60 and Bax Bangeetar as well but have learnt to live with it because it's what op amps do when pushed. I'm am more than happy to be told otherwise if my understanding of what makes the fizzy distortion is wrong but as yet no one has discounted me.

Your problem sounds like Op Amp distortion to me but I'm not saying I'm correct. It could be something else but it sounds similar to my experience. I'm no expert by any means but if you do determine it's Op Amp distortion mods such as reducing signal input to the amp or fitting Op Amps with a larger head room may work. I just learnt to live with it and adjust the guitar and amp controls to minimise it as appropriate. Hopefully way more experienced and knowledgeable folk will chime in. I would really like to know if I'm of the mark or not.

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:49 pm

Some types of opamps sound good pushed, some don't.

Try this: use an overdrive pedal as an underdrive -- set the output level low and turn up the amp to compensate.

Does the rattling/crackling go away?

In the previous thread it seemed like the problem was caused by hitting the amp's input with too hot a signal. But if your guitars don't have treble bleeds on the volume controls, turning down the guitar might not sound the way you want it to. Running into a pedal with your guitar volume up and the pedal's output down might work for you.