Micro Terror cable question

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

stainrick

Micro Terror cable question

Post by stainrick » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:46 pm

Hi there,

I recently moved house and seem to have mixed up my Orange Micro Terror power cord with cords for other appliances.

As far as I can tell, they're all universal, but they have different fuses. Does anybody know the correct fuse to use with the Micro Terror?

I have a feeling it's the 13A one, but wanted to double check before I blow up my lovely amp!

Many thanks!

Ricky

Sooner
Orange Master

Re: Micro Terror cable question

Post by Sooner » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:19 pm

Interesting... From what I can tell the micro terror uses an AC adapter with an output of 15 volts DC at 2 amps with a center-positive connector. No fuse required.

https://orangeamps.com/downloads/micro-terror-manual-2/
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:12 pm

The detachable mains cable that plugs into the power adapter doesn't have a fuse (none of the IEC detachable power cables do).

The power rating imprinted on the cable is based on wire size & length.

Mine is marked 10A/125V. That's a much higher capacity than the power adapter could ever draw. (But it's a fairly low rating for an IEC cable -- they don't make many smaller ones.)

There wouldn't be any harm in using your 13A cable with the MT's adapter -- the adapter only draws as much power as it needs.

But that 13A is probably for a computer, TV, or some other electricity-hungry device that uses a lot more power than the Micro Terror. The MT's 10A cable might not be safe to use with that device.

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:35 pm

Being a typical 'Murican, I sometimes forget that there are other countries with different mains voltages.

It's possible the cable for your MT is different than mine. But the max power consumption of my adapter is marked as 88VA (88 watts) and that should be the same world-wide. At 240 volts a 0.5A cable would be more than sufficient, at 100 volts a 1.0A cable would be adequate.

So wherever you are, your MT only needs your lowest rated cable.