OR120 tone stack diferences

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

catalin gramada

OR120 tone stack diferences

Post by catalin gramada » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:17 am

Hello. Found differences in tone controls of OR120 models before and post 1974. I can do a graphical pic of how it shapes the freq reponse. But I cannot imagine how really it sound and what are the sound diferences? Maybe old model fit better bass instruments? Can You share a impression, how You describe its action in terms of tone,please? Thanks

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Re: OR120 tone stack diferences

Post by fiveightandten » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:40 pm

catalin gramada wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:17 am
Hello. Found differences in tone controls of OR120 models before and post 1974. I can do a graphical pic of how it shapes the freq reponse. But I cannot imagine how really it sound and what are the sound diferences? Maybe old model fit better bass instruments? Can You share a impression, how You describe its action in terms of tone,please? Thanks
You may find this thread interesting:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55823

The '72 and '74 have the same tone stack. The post '74, 90's reissue, and OTR are all unique. Though the component values are very similar. The differences are really in the treble circuit and how that reacts. It's most noticeable when you roll the treble knob over halfway.

The biggest tonal difference in the earlier circuits is that 1500pf cap on the treble side, vs the 330pf in later amps. The treble knob in the earlier amps acts on a wider range of frequencies. When you turn the treble up, you hear high mids coming up with it. It makes a difference in the overall perceived volume of the amp and the gain somewhat. It's a powerful knob.

The treble knob in the later amps (post 74 and 90's) sounds like it just adjusts the high frequencies. Not as high as the HF drive, but it definitely doesn't affect the upper mids like the early treble knob does.

Personally, I find that I like the sound of the old tone stack a lot. I like the sound of the older circuits a lot. However, I find the later tone stack to be more versatile. The earlier amps, IMO, sound terrible with the treble knob turned down low. It just sounds like mud. The later amps (post 74 and 90's) can sound very good with the treble knob turned down very low. I often run my 90's OR-80 with the treble and bass close to 0, and turn the presence knob way up and click the FAC to the left. This gives a great sound.

Early amps have a certain sound. If you want that sound, you're best off with that circuit. If you want more versatility, I think the later tone stack treble values are the way to go. The amp sounds more aggressive and the attack softens up in different settings compared to the early circuits. Both have their merits, and both can sound very good.
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI