CR120 noise on dirty channel

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

arstacey

CR120 noise on dirty channel

Post by arstacey » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:39 pm

Hello everyone. I just picked up a CR120 head in a trade. The clean channel works perfectly but when I switch to the dirty channel I get a LOT of noise. Humming, hissing, crackling. You can hear the guitar but at a much lower volume than the noise. Has anyone experienced this and/or point me in the right direction to get it working properly?

liaztraht
Tiny Terror

Re: CR120 noise on dirty channel

Post by liaztraht » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:50 pm

Haven't experienced it with my CR, but had a similar issue with an old bass amp.

Have you looked at the circuit board yet? In my bass amp there was a busted volume pot. I would first check for any physical damage to the dirt channel pots and the traces on the PCB.
My cat loves the Orange tone!

arstacey

Post by arstacey » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:55 pm

I have not checked it out yet. Going to do that this weekend. Hoping it's an easy or at least obvious fix.

liaztraht
Tiny Terror

Post by liaztraht » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:01 pm

They do have some odd looking pots in them. I did have some issues with a scratchy gain pot that bound up a little bit. There was a pice of metal in it that looked like the nub you have to trim off of most pots. Could also cause issues with the contacts if that's your case.

The pots are open backed. So it is easy for dirt to get in them. If there is no damage some electrical contact cleaner might work if its just dirty.
My cat loves the Orange tone!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:09 pm

arstacey wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:55 pm
I have not checked it out yet. Going to do that this weekend. Hoping it's an easy or at least obvious fix.
Be careful.
Working on amps isn't recommended unless you know what you're doing.

You may be better off bringing it to a tech - safer, and the diagnosis may be better/faster!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

arstacey

Post by arstacey » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:16 pm

That's what I've decided to do. We have a local Orange authorized repair center. Bench charge is $80 and hour though and they are backlogged a month. I'm a little hesitant though as I can get a used one for $300. Hoping the problem is not that bad.