Double preamp

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Eviljohn

Double preamp

Post by Eviljohn » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:40 pm

Hi all. First post so please be gentle. I have a question about my orange micro dark based on a video i just watched on youtube. Just watched Chappers bypass the preamp section on his MD by plugging straight into the effect return, then controlling his tone with the pedals and guitar controls. My question is, if i used an ab or aby pedal split between the standard input and the effects return, with a passive preamp pedal in the signal path before the effect return input, just for eq, could i effectively turn the MD into a two channel amp? I don't have an issue with the clean tone on the MD. I've used it in the studio with the guitar volume right down and got a real nice clean tone, it's just good to have options should they be needed.
Thanks for stopping by and any guidance you can give.

liaztraht
Tiny Terror

Re: Double preamp

Post by liaztraht » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:55 am

Might need a bit more complicated set up than that if you use the amp's preamp. I believe only plugging in to the return cuts the preamp from the power amp. Easiest way to check is plug your guitar up front, put a cable or 1/4 inch adapter in the return and strum. No sound means it won't work.
My cat loves the Orange tone!