Distortion problem with CR120

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Aaron lucas

Distortion problem with CR120

Post by Aaron lucas » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:20 am

I get a feedbackish sound when I play chords on my middle strings... happens on all my pedals and the amps dirty setting... i have sample recorded on my phone bad I can't post it on here...

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Distortion problem with CR120

Post by bclaire » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:25 am

Try using the guitar without the pedals. Try a lesser distortion sound. Any difference? It could also be that your pickups aren't potted and in a high gain setting they're going microphonic.

Aaron lucas

Post by Aaron lucas » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:27 pm

It plays fine clean... and any chord based off the E plays fine... it happens really bad on the third fret on the A string... guitar is a grestch hollow body... I did turn down the distortion and it still happens

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:04 pm

Aaron lucas wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:27 pm
It plays fine clean... and any chord based off the E plays fine... it happens really bad on the third fret on the A string... guitar is a grestch hollow body... I did turn down the distortion and it still happens
All bets are off when it comes to a hollowbody guitar. That feedback is probably a howl where the back and front are vibrating sympathetically... there are many ways to "cure" it, but most of them I wouldn't try. For example, fitting a dowel between top and back through the soundhole is one way; packing it full of insulation is another; but I wouldn't want to do them....

Aaron lucas

Post by Aaron lucas » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:05 pm

I can send you a recording if you have Facebook messenger. Pm me your details... that way I can know if it's the guitar... a friend of mine thinks it's the fret

lunchbox
Orange Hero

Post by lunchbox » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:26 am

It's not the fret. You're playing a hollow body guitar which is prone to feedback. Also, Gretsch pickups are voiced for a more trebly sound so that's contributing as well.

liaztraht
Tiny Terror

Post by liaztraht » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:25 am

I can confirm its the guitar. I had a nice electromatic for a while. Anything more than a light crunch would feedback. Hollow bodies are meant to resonate. So certain notes will sympathetically resonate with the body and the distortion will compress it and make it more noticeable.
My cat loves the Orange tone!