Strange issue, needing opinions

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Lyric
New Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 2:23 am
Location: Knoxville, TN

Strange issue, needing opinions

Post by Lyric » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:56 am

Ok so here we go

I have a Orange Crush Pro 120 head and matching Orange Crush Pro 4x12 cabinet.

Guitars I use Fender Lone Star Strat, Fender Jazzmaster, Fender Jaguar, Reverend Double Agent 20th Anniversary and an Ibanez SA220EX.

So here's my ordeal. All the guitars running through my amp sound great but my issue is when I try running my Ibanez through my amp. When I play bar cords or power cords really hard I get this strange occurrence. When using the Ibanez it almost sounds as if though I'm getting breakup or speaker rattling or something. What I'm finding strange is this doesn't occur with any of the other guitars I have and only the Ibanez. Btw this is while on the clean channel. Clean channel volume is set to 12 o'clock (6) and the master volume set at about 8 o'clock (2).

Any ideas here? I'm assuming the issue lies with the Ibanez because the other guitars appear to not have this happening. But then again the Ibanez has a perfect setup which leaves me scratching my head.

Any thoughts or whatever would be appreciated. Thank you
17' Taylor 814CE
10' Manuel Rodriguez Cocobolo
14' Fender Limited Edition LoneStar Strat
16' Fender Classic Player 60's Jazzmaster
15' Fender Classic Player Jaguar
17' Reverend Double Agent 20th Anniversary
04' Ibanez SA220

Orange CR120H/Crush Pro 4x12

bclaire
Forum Moderator
Posts: 16997
Joined: Thu May 02, 2002 9:19 pm
Location: Outside Boston MA, USA
Contact:

Re: Strange issue, needing opinions

Post by bclaire » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:13 am

That is weird... did it happen with your old amp? or can you try a different amp to see if it does it there?

I'm guessing it may be a humbucker vs single coil thing. Can you dial back the amp with the Ibanez so it doesn't happen?

Jondog
Duke of Orange
Posts: 6391
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:16 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Strange issue, needing opinions

Post by Jondog » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:14 pm

First thing I would do is go completely over the guitar for anything loose, even in the control and pickup cavities. Bridge, tuners etc... Does it have a tremelo? Check the springs. I recently was getting some undesireable "reverb" with a strat, ended up shoving cloth rope inside the springs to solve it.
Image

Lyric
New Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 2:23 am
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: Strange issue, needing opinions

Post by Lyric » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:36 pm

bclaire wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:13 am
That is weird... did it happen with your old amp? or can you try a different amp to see if it does it there?

I'm guessing it may be a humbucker vs single coil thing. Can you dial back the amp with the Ibanez so it doesn't happen?
Hi Billy, thanks for your quick response.

I still have an old 10" Peavey practice amp I tried it on but it's hard to notice anything on the Peavey because the Peavey amp is so crap built that it rattles with just the touch of and string lol. My fiance said she could hear it from the Peavey amp as well but I couldn't really tell from all the rattling the Peavey amp makes lol.

My Strat is an HSS so it has a Humbucker in the bridge, my Jaguar is an HH with two Humbuckers and I can't hear it from those two guitars but only the Ibanez.

I'm almost thinking the strings are hitting the frets and causing this sound. I'm gonna try messing with the action and neck relief to see what it does.

The voicing on the Ibanez is deeper and a lot more in your face vs all the other guitars I have. My fiancé said it makes the sound like as if though I'm clipping or I've got a broken speaker which I agree with it does sound like that but what has me not thinking it's a broken speaker is none of the other guitars I have do this. Plus I've never ever yet cranked the hell out of this amp yet but only on low to moderate volume.
17' Taylor 814CE
10' Manuel Rodriguez Cocobolo
14' Fender Limited Edition LoneStar Strat
16' Fender Classic Player 60's Jazzmaster
15' Fender Classic Player Jaguar
17' Reverend Double Agent 20th Anniversary
04' Ibanez SA220

Orange CR120H/Crush Pro 4x12

Lyric
New Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 2:23 am
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: Strange issue, needing opinions

Post by Lyric » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:38 pm

Jondog wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:14 pm
First thing I would do is go completely over the guitar for anything loose, even in the control and pickup cavities. Bridge, tuners etc... Does it have a tremelo? Check the springs. I recently was getting some undesireable "reverb" with a strat, ended up shoving cloth rope inside the springs to solve it.
I will certainly check all these areas you've listed and will report back. It's for sure an annoying sound.
17' Taylor 814CE
10' Manuel Rodriguez Cocobolo
14' Fender Limited Edition LoneStar Strat
16' Fender Classic Player 60's Jazzmaster
15' Fender Classic Player Jaguar
17' Reverend Double Agent 20th Anniversary
04' Ibanez SA220

Orange CR120H/Crush Pro 4x12

Lyric
New Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 2:23 am
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: Strange issue, needing opinions

Post by Lyric » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:04 am

Ok everyone so I ran through the Ibanez with a fine tooth comb and I cannot find anything wrong so I’ve made a video and uploaded it on YouTube. Below you will find the link. I’m basically just hitting some cords to get the sound I’m referring too. I believe I have a damaged speaker. Give me your thoughts. Thank you

https://youtu.be/2pa9BcedchE
17' Taylor 814CE
10' Manuel Rodriguez Cocobolo
14' Fender Limited Edition LoneStar Strat
16' Fender Classic Player 60's Jazzmaster
15' Fender Classic Player Jaguar
17' Reverend Double Agent 20th Anniversary
04' Ibanez SA220

Orange CR120H/Crush Pro 4x12

Jondog
Duke of Orange
Posts: 6391
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:16 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Strange issue, needing opinions

Post by Jondog » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:22 pm

Lyric wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:04 am
Ok everyone so I ran through the Ibanez with a fine tooth comb and I cannot find anything wrong so I’ve made a video and uploaded it on YouTube. Below you will find the link. I’m basically just hitting some cords to get the sound I’m referring too. I believe I have a damaged speaker. Give me your thoughts. Thank you


https://youtu.be/2pa9BcedchE
Hard to tell. I hear distortion but I can't tell if its the or the recorded sound clipping. If it was the speaker it would be on all your guitars I would think. Are they high output pickups compared to your other guitars?
Image

Dino9
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:52 pm

Re: Strange issue, needing opinions

Post by Dino9 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:30 pm

Have just the same question!

Lyric
New Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 2:23 am
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: Strange issue, needing opinions

Post by Lyric » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:40 pm

Jondog wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:22 pm
Lyric wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:04 am
Ok everyone so I ran through the Ibanez with a fine tooth comb and I cannot find anything wrong so I’ve made a video and uploaded it on YouTube. Below you will find the link. I’m basically just hitting some cords to get the sound I’m referring too. I believe I have a damaged speaker. Give me your thoughts. Thank you


https://youtu.be/2pa9BcedchE
Hard to tell. I hear distortion but I can't tell if its the or the recorded sound clipping. If it was the speaker it would be on all your guitars I would think. Are they high output pickups compared to your other guitars?
The clipping sound is coming from the amp. That's how my fiancé first discribed it like I was clipping.

I'm wondering if like you said the pickups are strong high outputs and causing this fluttering clipping sound. I'm gonna try experimenting a little more and see what I get.
17' Taylor 814CE
10' Manuel Rodriguez Cocobolo
14' Fender Limited Edition LoneStar Strat
16' Fender Classic Player 60's Jazzmaster
15' Fender Classic Player Jaguar
17' Reverend Double Agent 20th Anniversary
04' Ibanez SA220

Orange CR120H/Crush Pro 4x12

PBA
Tiny Terror
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:01 pm

Re: Strange issue, needing opinions

Post by PBA » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:22 am

Try lowering the pickups away from the strings, as far as you can. Make a note of how close they are first - so you can put it back as is if needed.
Listen to see if the lower pickups solve the problem or help reduce it in any way. If there's no difference, then it's not down to signal level.

OrangeBoy
Tiny Terror
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:35 am

Re: Strange issue, needing opinions

Post by OrangeBoy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:50 pm

Sounds like Op Amp distortion to me. It happens on some OD pedals I have with a selection where clipping can be taken out of the circuit so the sound is unadulterated from the Op Amp. Same also happens with my CR60 when using high output humbuckers into the clean channel; Input a high signal, the Op Amp starts working beyond it's limits and distorts.

When clipping is added back in it masks Op Amp distortion because of clipping the signal.

I'm guessing, but certainly am no expert, that the clean channel doesn't have clipping so a high input signal will cause the sound you hear if the Op Amps(s) are pushed beyond what they are designed to do.

Jondog
Duke of Orange
Posts: 6391
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:16 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Strange issue, needing opinions

Post by Jondog » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:12 am

OrangeBoy wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:50 pm
Sounds like Op Amp distortion to me. It happens on some OD pedals I have with a selection where clipping can be taken out of the circuit so the sound is unadulterated from the Op Amp. Same also happens with my CR60 when using high output humbuckers into the clean channel; Input a high signal, the Op Amp starts working beyond it's limits and distorts.

When clipping is added back in it masks Op Amp distortion because of clipping the signal.

I'm guessing, but certainly am no expert, that the clean channel doesn't have clipping so a high input signal will cause the sound you hear if the Op Amps(s) are pushed beyond what they are designed to do.
This is what I'm getting at by asking if the pickups are high output. Op Amps just don't clip like tubes. It's the amp thats clipping, but the guitar is causing it.
Image

Lyric
New Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 2:23 am
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: Strange issue, needing opinions

Post by Lyric » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:12 am

Jondog wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:12 am
OrangeBoy wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:50 pm
Sounds like Op Amp distortion to me. It happens on some OD pedals I have with a selection where clipping can be taken out of the circuit so the sound is unadulterated from the Op Amp. Same also happens with my CR60 when using high output humbuckers into the clean channel; Input a high signal, the Op Amp starts working beyond it's limits and distorts.

When clipping is added back in it masks Op Amp distortion because of clipping the signal.

I'm guessing, but certainly am no expert, that the clean channel doesn't have clipping so a high input signal will cause the sound you hear if the Op Amps(s) are pushed beyond what they are designed to do.
This is what I'm getting at by asking if the pickups are high output. Op Amps just don't clip like tubes. It's the amp thats clipping, but the guitar is causing it.
PBA wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:22 am
Try lowering the pickups away from the strings, as far as you can. Make a note of how close they are first - so you can put it back as is if needed.
Listen to see if the lower pickups solve the problem or help reduce it in any way. If there's no difference, then it's not down to signal level.
Well before I read this just now I was speaking with a friend who comes over and hangs out at times. He’s a drummer but not technically a guitar player. I was explaining to him my frustration and he says the other day while over at your house I played your Ibanez because you haven’t played it in years and thought it needed some love. I said did you do anything besides playing it? He said well I thought your pickups were a little low and thought I’d raise them a slight bit. I was like wtf.

Well I got my digital calipers out and measured and sure enough he raised them quite a bit. I have a notebook of all my settings and setups so after measuring I could easily see he raised them up a bit. It was not enough to visually see but it was enough to cause some good clipping/buzzing sound.

Thanks for your help guys, appreciate it very much. I did ask my friend not to adjust my guitars anymore lol. I’m sure he meant no harm but I wish he would have said something or did nothing at all. I’m not a drummer and would never attempt to tune a drum or adjust anything on one lol.
17' Taylor 814CE
10' Manuel Rodriguez Cocobolo
14' Fender Limited Edition LoneStar Strat
16' Fender Classic Player 60's Jazzmaster
15' Fender Classic Player Jaguar
17' Reverend Double Agent 20th Anniversary
04' Ibanez SA220

Orange CR120H/Crush Pro 4x12

Jondog
Duke of Orange
Posts: 6391
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:16 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Strange issue, needing opinions

Post by Jondog » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:35 am

It might be a good time to start adjusting things on drum sets, you know where to start! Glad you sorted it out!
Image

bclaire
Forum Moderator
Posts: 16997
Joined: Thu May 02, 2002 9:19 pm
Location: Outside Boston MA, USA
Contact:

Re: Strange issue, needing opinions

Post by bclaire » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:23 pm

Drummers.

My drummer has two weeks off so he and his wife left last Tuesday for vacation. To Key West, Florida! They got to Miami and decided it wasn't a good idea to go on but the airline said, "your bags are going to Key West." So they continued on... got to Key West and got the LAST rental car available at the airport for over $600! Drove to Orlando - stayed there - got a flight out of Miami (also ridiculous money) so they drove there and flew home.

Called him yesterday - he said they were on their way to Foxwoods Casino for a couple of days and then on to NYC for a few days. I said 'when are you going to be in NYC?'

He said, "9/11"

oh boy....

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests