Help dating an AD30HTC (with Mercury Transformers)

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

JDLM

Help dating an AD30HTC (with Mercury Transformers)

Post by JDLM » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:09 am

I'm thinking of buying this used AD30 head. The owner said it was modified with Mercury magnetic transformers. I asked him for the serial number to find out more about the year it was made and that specific batch of amps (just in case there's something crucial to know)

He provided me with this pic with the serial number. Serial number is: AD30HTC-A-6109-07-08

Any idea when this was made? Also, anything important I should know about that batch of amps?

Many thanks!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Help dating an AD30HTC (with Mercury Transformers)

Post by bclaire » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:40 am

0708 = July 2008

I deleted your duplicate post in serial numbers. You only need to post once.

Although I don't know why he would have needed to replace the transformers, it should be an awesome sounding head. I have two of the combos and they're the best sounding amps I've ever owned....

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:08 am

bclaire wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:40 am
0708 = July 2008

Although I don't know why he would have needed to replace the transformers, it should be an awesome sounding head. I have two of the combos and they're the best sounding amps I've ever owned....
MM markets their transformers as upgrades, so many people view them as such. It's not always the case, but Orange did change the transformers in the AD-30 at some point (before 2008), and the newer Demeters do sound different from the older iron.

My other guitar player has an older model which had the old iron in it. The amp sounded different from my 2006, even with the same exact tubes in it. The OT in his amp actually failed, and I replaced it with a Demeter that I got from Orange. It sounds different now...better to my ears.

Long story short, a transformer swap can fine tune an amp, much like changing tubes, or using different speakers. It's one part of the equation and something people will do if they feel it's an upgrade.

Personally, I think MM has gotten out of control with their pricing. It's kept me away from their products for some time now. They have the market cornered and they got greedy.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

JDLM

Post by JDLM » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:26 am

bclaire wrote:
0708 = July 2008

Thanks so much. Yes, thanks for deleting the post. I first posted on the Serial Number thread, but then I realized it was under the vintage amps section, so since this amp is new I reposted it on the Technical section.

I checked it out today and ended up buying it. It was brand new and sounded killer. Very articulate and musical. Yeah, I didn't pay too much attention to whether the transformers were Mercury Magnetic, Demeter or a pair of artichokes, I just went with my ear and it sounded very sweet and musical.

Thanks again for all your help!!

JDLM

Post by JDLM » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:28 am

fiveightandten wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:08 am
bclaire wrote:
0708 = July 2008

MM markets their transformers as upgrades, so many people view them as such. It's not always the case, but Orange did change the transformers in the AD-30 at some point (before 2008), and the newer Demeters do sound different from the older iron.

My other guitar player has an older model which had the old iron in it. The amp sounded different from my 2006, even with the same exact tubes in it. The OT in his amp actually failed, and I replaced it with a Demeter that I got from Orange. It sounds different now...better to my ears.

Long story short, a transformer swap can fine tune an amp, much like changing tubes, or using different speakers. It's one part of the equation and something people will do if they feel it's an upgrade.

Personally, I think MM has gotten out of control with their pricing. It's kept me away from their products for some time now. They have the market cornered and they got greedy.

-Nick
Thanks so much. I checked it out today and ended up buying it. It was brand new and sounded killer. And for $840? you can't go wrong.

Very articulate and musical. Yeah, I didn't pay too much attention to whether the transformers were Mercury Magnetic, Demeter or a pair of artichokes, I just went with my ear and it sounded very sweet and musical.

Thanks again for all your help!!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:18 pm

fiveightandten wrote:

-Nick
I've put some thought into this over the years. And while there definitely are cheaper options out there that do the job just as well, maybe better depending who you ask, I think the transformers are worth the price, if the best quality matters to someone. I've bought from them, as well as other companies. Mercury is a quality product, using the best components which is evident. They offer a wide selection of transformers which involves a lot of work and research. Most companies have what they have and thats what you have to work with which might mean changing the circuitry of the amp. They offer multiple options for customizing, powder coating. They'll custom build if you need it. All of this definitely drives costs up, and you get what you pay for. Also have to say, Patrick Selfridge who runs it is excellent with customer service. I've emailed him multiple times and he's aleays been quick to reply and forward any info I might need. I emailed once on Christmas Eve, not expecting a reply until after the holidays. Sure enough, later that night I got a reply with attachments of the transformer specs I was requesting (AD30 transformers!).
Can't speak of the current situation in Texas, but I think it was hurricane Katrina where anyone who had Mercury transformers damaged by the floods could send them back for free replacements! Thats pretty awesome!

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:50 am

Jondog wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:18 pm
fiveightandten wrote:

-Nick
I've put some thought into this over the years. And while there definitely are cheaper options out there that do the job just as well, maybe better depending who you ask, I think the transformers are worth the price, if the best quality matters to someone. I've bought from them, as well as other companies. Mercury is a quality product, using the best components which is evident. They offer a wide selection of transformers which involves a lot of work and research. Most companies have what they have and thats what you have to work with which might mean changing the circuitry of the amp. They offer multiple options for customizing, powder coating. They'll custom build if you need it. All of this definitely drives costs up, and you get what you pay for. Also have to say, Patrick Selfridge who runs it is excellent with customer service. I've emailed him multiple times and he's aleays been quick to reply and forward any info I might need. I emailed once on Christmas Eve, not expecting a reply until after the holidays. Sure enough, later that night I got a reply with attachments of the transformer specs I was requesting (AD30 transformers!).
Can't speak of the current situation in Texas, but I think it was hurricane Katrina where anyone who had Mercury transformers damaged by the floods could send them back for free replacements! Thats pretty awesome!
The product they put out is quality. There's no doubt about that. I just feel like their pricing has risen significantly across the board and it's tough for me to justify, personally. Their cheaper AD-30 OT is over twice the price of buying one from Orange (which is already a decent iron). The other MM OT is nearly 3 times the price of the Orange Demeter unit. They used to be closer to other options, but now they're not just moderately more expensive, they're much much more.
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI