My Orange Micro Dark won't turn off

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

xnukepunk

My Orange Micro Dark won't turn off

Post by xnukepunk » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:18 pm

After playing last night I want to turn the toggle switch off and I noticed the blue power light was still on even though the switch was in the off position. I unplugged to power cable from the back of the amp and it turned off, when I went to plug it back in there was sparking from the power port and the amp was "ON" even though the toggle was in the "OFF" position. Has anyone else had this issue? Is it a difficult repair or should i look to just replace the amp?

Thanks.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: My Orange Micro Dark won't turn off

Post by Jondog » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:22 pm

If still under warranty, replace it. Sounds like the switch is bad.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:42 pm

It's a curse.

It means you now must keep playing forever and will depend on your family and friends for food and drinks.

A curse. Yeah, either that or get the warranty working.

But I think it's a curse.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:59 pm

Either the switch is bad or there's a shorted connection in there somewhere. It sounds like it's partially shorted and bridging the power supply connections together. Don't plug it in again until it's sorted.

Like Jon said, if it's under warranty, get it replaced. If not, take the amp to a tech and let him fix it. Ask him for a worst case estimate ahead of time and let him know the amp is worth about $100.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI