Crush Pro 120 direct recording

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

sammy84

Crush Pro 120 direct recording

Post by sammy84 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:08 pm

Does anyone have an idea how to play a Crush Pro 120 head using headphones only / record it directly without micing the cabinet? According to the guys at our guitar store, using a loadbox built for tube amps would be out of question as it is a solid state amp. Are there any other alternatives for doing it?

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Crush Pro 120 direct recording

Post by Jondog » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:01 pm

I don't see why using a load box wouldn't work. It's doing the same thing a speaker does. Something like the Mesa Cab clone.

liaztraht
Tiny Terror

Post by liaztraht » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:38 am

I turn my master volume down, and run the effects send through my interface and use a cab SIM on my computer.. Works darn well. Couldn't stand amp sims, but some of the free cab sims are nice.
My cat loves the Orange tone!

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:25 pm

Jondog wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:01 pm
I don't see why using a load box wouldn't work. It's doing the same thing a speaker does. Something like the Mesa Cab clone.
Some of them are ONLY for valve amps. My THD Hotplate is one example.
From the user manual:
Q. Can I use the Hot Plate with a solid state amp?
A. NO! The Hot Plate and the power section of the amp will be damaged if the amp does
not use output tubes. Thus, even if an amp has preamp tubes, it CANNOT be used with
the Hot Plate if it has a solid state output section. However, an amp that has a solid-state
pre-amp section but a tube output section CAN be used with the Hot Plate.
I don't immediately see anything specific in the Cab Clone manual, but it does talk a lot about valves (well, 'tubes' :wink: ) and output transformers. I think it may well be assumed that you'd be using it with a valve amp...

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:37 pm

a.hun wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:25 pm
Jondog wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:01 pm
Some of them are ONLY for valve amps. My THD Hotplate is one example.
From the user manual:
Q. Can I use the Hot Plate with a solid state amp?
A. NO! The Hot Plate and the power section of the amp will be damaged if the amp does
not use output tubes. Thus, even if an amp has preamp tubes, it CANNOT be used with
the Hot Plate if it has a solid state output section. However, an amp that has a solid-state
pre-amp section but a tube output section CAN be used with the Hot Plate.
I don't immediately see anything specific in the Cab Clone manual, but it does talk a lot about valves (well, 'tubes' :wink: ) and output transformers. I think it may well be assumed that you'd be using it with a valve amp...

Andy.
Yeah, I dont know the answer. Probably best to not do it. Don't the Crush Pro's have a class d power amp? I've heard of class d amps using an on-board resistive loads to use a DI. Hot Plate is a bit different from a straight up load box. Load box is just a resistive load, where the hot plate is a reactive inductor working like a speaker interacting with the output transformer and tubes, at least thats how I've always understood it. I had tbe Cab Clone for a bit, opened it up. Its just a big resistor load with a signal tap much like an H&K Red Box.