TH30c Channel switching not working

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Jke

TH30c Channel switching not working

Post by Jke » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:04 am

Hello!
I bought a th30c used and have used it for about 3-4 hours tops. Today when I turned it on, the dirty channel worked as usual, but when switching to the clean channel, the dirty channel was still on. I tried switching multiple times, but no change. I also tried switching between half power and 4 tubes/2 tubes, tried external channel switch box, but the problem persists. Does anyone know what the problem may be?

Thanks in advance!

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Re: TH30c Channel switching not working

Post by Hubaxe » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:15 am

Hi! Do you switch with the on board switch or using the footswitch?

The footswitch works only if you are on Dirty position.

Jke

Post by Jke » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:27 am

I have tried both, when I noticed the switch on the amp wasn't working I tried the external footswitch with the switch to dirty. None works unfortunately :(

Update: I also noticed now that the volume sometimes changes up and down when trying to change channels, although the channel still stays on dirty no matter what...

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:15 pm

You need to take the amp somewhere else and try it. That is the symptom of low voltage out of the wall outlet. When there is a low voltage situation, only the second channel will work...

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:58 am

bclaire wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:15 pm
You need to take the amp somewhere else and try it. That is the symptom of low voltage out of the wall outlet. When there is a low voltage situation, only the second channel will work...
Hi Billy. Wasn't that just a silly issue with some old AD30TCs. Is it really still a problem with more modern amps? Find hard to believe they wouldn't have sorted that. :shock:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:21 am

a.hun wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:58 am
bclaire wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:15 pm
Hi Billy. Wasn't that just a silly issue with some old AD30TCs. Is it really still a problem with more modern amps? Find hard to believe they wouldn't have sorted that. :shock:
Andy.
Not silly if you're gigging.

It was AD140TC and AD30TC but it wouldn't surprise me if a low voltage situation affects other amps, too.

Jke

Post by Jke » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:36 pm

Thanks all for the replies!
I found a Tech who could take it in the same day, before I saw your comment unfortunately bclaire. I figured after a while it probably wasn't something I could fix with a new set of tubes or something. Would've been worth a try with a different outlet, although it always worked in that socket before. Appearantly it worked for the Tech straight away. He opened it up anyway and said some connector to the switch was a bit loose, so he secured it in and says the problem seems to be gone. He had a theory that the vibrations in the car on the way there could've pushed it slightly into place again, hence working for him before even opening it up. I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow and hopefully it'll work as usual again.

Again, thanks everyone for the input!