Terror Bass 500 USA to Europe

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

AtomicW

Terror Bass 500 USA to Europe

Post by AtomicW » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:07 pm

Hello, I am a US user of the Terror Bass 500,

Can I use this amp in Central Europe if I switch the voltage selector to 230, swap the existing T8A fuse for a T6.3A fuse(as referenced on page 9 here: https://orangeamps.com/wp-content/uploa ... 0-V1.4.pdf), and hook up an IEC to European power cable such as this: https://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-Go-Eu ... ply+europe ?

Seems logical but i just want to check if I'm missing anything.

Thanks for your help!

-Adam

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Terror Bass 500 USA to Europe

Post by Jondog » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:13 pm

If the switch has a 230 option, that's what you do.

AtomicW

Post by AtomicW » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:45 am

Yes, the voltage selector switch has a 230 option. That's good to hear.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:51 am

I wrote "if" because some Orange amps have the same red switch, only it would be switchable between 110 and 120 and have to be rewired for 230, vice versa in UK/Europe

PBA
Rocker

Post by PBA » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:08 am

In respect of the amp power and fuse settings, that sounds about right but I would question the power chord you reference. I am not sure where specifically you are going to be in "Central Europe" My experiences in Eastern Europe were that it was luck to find two wall outlets with the same design! I would suggest you take your US power cable as well. You are likely to be able to find an adaptor locally to fit Western European or US plugs - but not necessarily both...

The UK, of course, has a different system but it is very consistent and adaptors are readily available.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:41 pm

PBA wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:08 am
In respect of the amp power and fuse settings, that sounds about right but I would question the power chord you reference. I am not sure where specifically you are going to be in "Central Europe" My experiences in Eastern Europe were that it was luck to find two wall outlets with the same design! I would suggest you take your US power cable as well. You are likely to be able to find an adaptor locally to fit Western European or US plugs - but not necessarily both...

The UK, of course, has a different system but it is very consistent and adaptors are readily available.
The power cord shown is the correct stanfard plug used across Europe, except the UK.

The variance you may have found is that some adaptor plugs do not offer the possibility to plug in an earthed plug like that one...... which isn't great!!!!

Regardless, that's the one he'll need in EU.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

AtomicW

Post by AtomicW » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:02 pm

Thanks for confirming my thoughts on this! Really appreciate the insight.