LP / tiny-terror /MIDS

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Aj_TinyTerror

LP / tiny-terror /MIDS

Post by Aj_TinyTerror » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:45 am

Any TT owners experience real high mids and high treble? I've got a TT combo with a celestion 12 and JJ tubes (new) throughout. No matter what I do (with my epiphone LP black beauty, the mids /treble /high end is bordering on ear piercing on all three pick up positions at any volume (on the amp). A MOJO MOJO pedal thickens it up a bit, but I want the tiny terror to sound like I know it can. Am I missing something? Guitar problem? Amp problem? Help

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: LP / tiny-terror /MIDS

Post by a.hun » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:42 am

Hi Aj_TinyTerror, and welcome.

Do you have the same with that guitar through other amps? I'm wondering if it is to do with pickup height? May be that they are adjusted too low / far from the strings. Then you'd indeed have too little low end so that the upper frequencies would dominate. Might just be your guitar needing set up properly...?

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Aj_TinyTerror

Post by Aj_TinyTerror » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:06 pm

I have a strat that is maybe, a weeee-bit better, but yes, still pretty schrill. I have and continue to play around with pickup height, pole pieces, top wrapping, tone knobs, etc. ----just can't find that sweet spot. Pre amp tubes maybe...? I have newer JJ's all the way around

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:22 pm

Did the amp sound different before you changed the tubes? Is this a new amp, or you've owned it for a while and know it sounds better than it does?

Aj_TinyTerror

Post by Aj_TinyTerror » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:33 pm

I didn't change the tubes - I got it re-tubed with a new celestion 12. The amp is from 2012 and that work was done a year ago, I got the amp two months ago.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:40 pm

Bit of confusion here. So it has sounded this way since you've had it? What Celestion 12" model? Theres over a dozen different models. Also if it's a new speaker, it's going to need to break in. Typical of some new speakers to be a bit shrill.