RV Mk1 50W Combo Dirty Channel Sounds Terrible

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

sieistkaiser

RV Mk1 50W Combo Dirty Channel Sounds Terrible

Post by sieistkaiser » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:15 am

Hey guys i cant seem to find any other threads which will help me here but my dirty channel on my RV sounds terrible. Its really thin no matter what EQ balance i choose. My understanding is that i can get my dirty channel to have the same EQ balance as my clean channel (i could be wrong here). My clean channel sounds great so i don't think its the power tubes. Is this a case of swapping out the two dirty channel pre-amp tubes or is the issue i'm describing normal?

Greatly appreciate any help guys x

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: RV Mk1 50W Combo Dirty Channel Sounds Terrible

Post by a.hun » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:39 am

Not the power valves if you are getting good sounds from the other channel.
Yes, try swapping out the relevant preamp valves - one at a time - and seeing if that helps. You know about the valve layout guide at the top of the forum?

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

sieistkaiser

Post by sieistkaiser » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:48 am

a.hun wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:39 am
Not the power valves if you are getting good sounds from the other channel.
Yes, try swapping out the relevant preamp valves - one at a time - and seeing if that helps. You know about the valve layout guide at the top of the forum?

Andy.
Hey Andy thanks for that. I've checked the tube layout guide however i believe there was some confusion between members about the tube layout for the 50W combo as a user only put a photo up of his 100W head and said the tube layout is mirrored. Another member later voiced some confusion. I'll have to recheck the thread as its been a while. Don't know if there are any other guides for the valve layout of the 50W combo.

D|C|M|E
Tiny Terror

Post by D|C|M|E » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:32 pm

I'm very curious to find out how well this worked for you as I have a Rockerverb 50 MKII head and have a very weak, EQ nightmare of a sound coming out of my Dirty channel as well. Then again, the events surrounding my acquisition of this head have been wrought with tumult. Let me just say, NEVER believe you're getting a deal from "B-Stock" discount. Nothing but pain, sorrow and a seemingly unending uncertainty await you there. I may just end up posting my own thread about my experience but I'm hoping a simple call to Orange in ATL will get me squared away.
Orange Rockerverb 100 MKIII [2017]
Orange PPC412-A [2017]
Orange PPC412 [2017]
Gibson SG Standard Silverburst [2007]
Gibson SG Standard Heritage Cherry [2016]
More than a dozen drive/Fuzz boxes.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:35 am

D|C|M|E wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:32 pm
I'm very curious to find out how well this worked for you as I have a Rockerverb 50 MKII head and have a very weak, EQ nightmare of a sound coming out of my Dirty channel as well. Then again, the events surrounding my acquisition of this head have been wrought with tumult. Let me just say, NEVER believe you're getting a deal from "B-Stock" discount. Nothing but pain, sorrow and a seemingly unending uncertainty await you there. I may just end up posting my own thread about my experience but I'm hoping a simple call to Orange in ATL will get me squared away.

I think you post your own thread, perhaps in the community sections. You could explain us exactly what issues you've had and we can make suggestions on best course of action.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute