Dead orange crush 25 bass amp

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

gossamer

Dead orange crush 25 bass amp

Post by gossamer » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:28 pm

Okay so I'm an IT director with a fair amount of knowledge regarding electronics, both discrete and IC however this one is stumping me. Bought this amp Christmas 2013 (basically 2014) and it's worked reliably without issue, and only used sparingly. The other day plugged in my bass, was playing mid volume and heard some crackling then the sound faded out. Cycled the power no change, unplugged it 15 minutes later tried again and for a second got some sound the crackling and it faded out. This isn't my first rodeo, so dutifully checked the speaker connections, no issues, fuse was good (and tried the replacement fuse included to be sure) weirder yet the headphones out, and the aux out work just fine, gain stage, and EQ also work however absolutely no sound whatsoever otherwise from the amp. Tried various basses (powered/passive), guitars and while it will pass sound through the other outputs my speaker/amp seems to have died. Looked at the schematic and if the opamp was bad the gain wouldn't be working (among other things). So I'm stumped, clearly it's out of warranty but it's a relatively simple solid state design, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Dead orange crush 25 bass amp

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:39 pm

I've never seen the schematic for that amp, but if you say you get a sound for the headphone and the aux out, it implies the issue is between that point and the speaker.

Where you playing loud when that happens? Whilst the speaker is connected, are you sure it's functional still?

Do you have a link to the schematic?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute