Rocker 15 whine

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

stewyd

Rocker 15 whine

Post by stewyd » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:13 am

Hi,

I have a Blackstar Core ID 20 amp which I love and I recently bought one of the new Orange Rocker 15 valve combo amps which is also very nice. Because the Blackstar has some nice built in effects I thought it would be cool to connect the two together so I can use the effects from the Blackstar through the Orange. I have a Boss RC-3 loop pedal so I ran a 3.5mm cable from the line out of the Blackstar into the line in of the RC-3, but when I did this I got a high pitched squealing sound as per this link. I can hear the guitar signal with the effects, but the squealing is so loud it ruins the sound. I also have a Boss Cube 10GX and tried the same setup but got no interference whatsoever.

I've also run a 3.5mm cable from the line out of the Roland to the line in of the Blackstar (and vice versa) but again got not interference. I also have a Fender A/B switch which allows me to play though two amps at the same time and whenever I plug the Blackstar and Orange in I get the same whining sound but when I plug any other combination of amps in, I get no whining sound. I've tried with no pedals plugged in to either amp, and also plugged each amp into different socket on the wall, even in two separate rooms but every time I connect the Orange and the Blackstar I get the whining sound.

Anyone got any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks,

Stew

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Rocker 15 whine

Post by Jondog » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:28 pm

How exactly are you hooking up the Orange in this set-up? Not sure I understand the set-up at all.

stewyd

Post by stewyd » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:52 pm

OK, forget I mentioned the looper, it probably just makes it confusing.

If I plug the Rocker into one of the outputs of the A/B switch and plug the Blackstar into the other, the whining starts and it actually comes out of both amps. There doesn't need to be a guitar plugged into the input of the switch. As soon as I unplug either amp, it stops. If I replace the Rocker with the Roland Cube 10GX (or any other amp I've tried), i also get no whining.

Hope that makes it clearer!

DoktorV

Post by DoktorV » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:34 pm

Ground loop, possibly? Try an A/B/Y that has a ground lift switch.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:06 pm

Sounds like it could be a ground loop. Does your a/b/y switch have an isolated output?

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:34 pm

This thing worked wonders for my A/B setup.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/5565/Pro_A ... Filter.htm

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:38 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:34 pm

I bought one of those once, but not for a ground loop. It was a long time ago and I didn't know any better but the salesman told me it would work like a power conditioner. I was quite disappointed with it!!! Returned it. Now that I know what it really is for, wish I had of kept it. :lol:

Also, I apologize in advance, but I think I reported your post by accident...TWICE! I'm using my iPhone and Was trying to hit the quote button but my fat thumb kept hitting the report post button, they're too close together!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:36 pm

Jondog wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:38 pm
Boy_Narf wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:34 pm

I bought one of those once, but not for a ground loop. It was a long time ago and I didn't know any better but the salesman told me it would work like a power conditioner. I was quite disappointed with it!!! Returned it. Now that I know what it really is for, wish I had of kept it. :lol:

Also, I apologize in advance, but I think I reported your post by accident...TWICE! I'm using my iPhone and Was trying to hit the quote button but my fat thumb kept hitting the report post button, they're too close together!
Don't worry, the report buttons don't work at the moment.... :lol:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute