External cabinet options with a Rocker 30?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

bobbythompson65

External cabinet options with a Rocker 30?

Post by bobbythompson65 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:23 am

I wasn't sure whether to post this under Technical or community discussion, but anyhow....

I have a Rocker 30 that I am absolutely in LOVE with, and I want to add an external cabinet. Basically the only options I am considering are the PPC212, the PPC212OB, and the PPC412. New, the PPC212OB is much less expensive than the PPC212 (Which I do not at all understand), but is there THAT much of a difference in sound?? I tend to play mostly "Classic" rock with a lean towards the hard side, if that matters.
BUT, To further twist the options, I have the opportunity to buy a PPC412 that has been gigged some but is in excellent++ condition for $500. I guess what I am trying to determine is A) Will my little Rocker 30 properly drive a 4x12 cabinet? And B) Will it sound good, or should I just add another $100 (or $250 if closed back) and buy a new 2x12 cabinet? ALL opinions/input are VERY welcomed!!!!
Rockerverb 50 Mk1
Rocker 30 Combo
PPC412 & PPC212
Marshall JCM800

Fender USA '52RI Tele
78 Gibson "The Paul"
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Firebird Traditional (X2)
Gibson Explorer Pro
Washburn NB24
Jackson RR24

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: External cabinet options with a Rocker 30?

Post by a.hun » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:56 am

bobbythompson65 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:23 am
I wasn't sure whether to post this under Technical or community discussion, but anyhow....

I have a Rocker 30 that I am absolutely in LOVE with, and I want to add an external cabinet. Basically the only options I am considering are the PPC212, the PPC212OB, and the PPC412. New, the PPC212OB is much less expensive than the PPC212 (Which I do not at all understand), but is there THAT much of a difference in sound?? I tend to play mostly "Classic" rock with a lean towards the hard side, if that matters.
BUT, To further twist the options, I have the opportunity to buy a PPC412 that has been gigged some but is in excellent++ condition for $500. I guess what I am trying to determine is A) Will my little Rocker 30 properly drive a 4x12 cabinet? And B) Will it sound good, or should I just add another $100 (or $250 if closed back) and buy a new 2x12 cabinet? ALL opinions/input are VERY welcomed!!!!
Hi bobbythompson65.

The PPC212OB is made in China, hence the price difference. Well made and well liked though!

Main thing here is to make sure you get the cab impedances right. You are talking about a Rocker combo by the sound of it, right? Internal speaker is 16 ohms, and you need to add another 16 ohm load. From the instruction manual:
When using the Rocker 30 combo with a 16 ohm extension speaker, disconnect the internal speaker from the 16 ohm socket and reconnect to one of the two 8 ohm sockets. Connect the extension speaker to the other 8 ohm socket.
All the cabs you mentioned are rated at 16 ohms. The amp will make good use of any of them! :)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!