Orange AD 15 problem : weak volume

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Audioslaved

Orange AD 15 problem : weak volume

Post by Audioslaved » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:55 am

Hi,

I've bought an old AD 15 10 amp. It's a great sounding but the volume is pretty low, even past 12 o' clock with powerful pickups it's quite weak sounding, it sounds smaller than my Princeton. Is it its normal behavior or are the tubes a bit tired ?

About tubes, what set should I try ?

(I'm a total tubes newbie)

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Orange AD 15 problem : weak volume

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:06 am

Has it got the serial number 008 by any chance???

In any case, one single bad valve is enough to make it sound weak and thin, it could be the preamp, or either of the power valves.

I reckon it's a good thing to have a full set at hand anyway, and probably a good idea to replace all valves.

I've had 2 of these amps, both 12" version, and still have one, that I play with weekly, it's a great thick sounding amp, and very loud too.

As for valves, I've had good luck with Harma, TAD and JJ valves, and currently have full JJ set that I'm very happy with.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Audioslaved

Post by Audioslaved » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:19 am

Serial is OR-10/42/299

I think I'll change all the valves anyway.

Any advices to do so ? (I've never changed a valve...)

thanks

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:39 am

Be gentle pulling them out, and be careful when you remove the amp part from the cab.... don't do like me and pull it out hard or you will snap the speaker cable...... :roll:

As for the valves simply wiggle them out very gently. The sockets are a tight fit for the valve pins, which is a good thing, though it makes pulling them out a little hard.

When refitting them, make sure you line up the pins right and oush them in gently.

The GZ34 rectifier has a slot which makes it impossible to not fit it in right.

One thing you could do though, is to replace them all, but one valve at a time, checking the sound improvements as you do it. That way, you should find out which valve was the dodgy one (though there may be more than one). You could then keep the old working ones as working spares for emergencies.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute