New TT owner - two tech questions

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

mjet

New TT owner - two tech questions

Post by mjet » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:07 pm

Hello everyone

I picked up a used Tiny Terror head (Chinese-made) for a great price locally today. Two questions:

1. The amp has one issue that I know about - the Gain pot was snapped off, so I'll need to get a replacement pot and have my local electronics whiz repair guy can sort that out. I haven't opened up the amp yet but I presume it's a standard PCB-mounted pot. Does anyone know the precise details/values of those? Large online electronics shops like Mouser have a gazillion pot varieties so I want to make sure I get the right one. Will need to get a new knob as well - anyone know the part number of those?

2. The serial number sticker is missing. I read some posts about a factory recall for EU-shipped models (like mine) due to a transformer fault a few years back with listings of serial ranges. Without knowing my amp's serial number (nor it's provenance - it has almost certainly bounced around to different owners so I don't know how old it is). Is there some other way to find out if mine is one of those impacted by the recall? For instance, is it possible to identify the impacted models by some other means (gut shots etc)?

Thanks!!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: New TT owner - two tech questions

Post by bclaire » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:05 pm

If it's just the shaft that's broken off, the pot number will be visible on the back. Should be easy to order - knob, I don't know - an electronics supplier should be able to get close.

The serial number though is concerning. The lack of serial number makes me wonder if it's one of the ones that was stolen back when a large shipment went missing...

I'd get the pot fixed and see how it sounds... if it's ok, don't worry about a recall.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:13 am

16mm Dual Gang Audio taper pcb terminal potentiometer
http://m.ebay.com/itm/2-x-500K-OHM-Loga ... iid%253A15

mjet

Post by mjet » Wed May 10, 2017 3:53 pm

Thanks Jondog - I ordered a set of those and they arrived already - now just need to head out to my tech's place to get it all sorted.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Wed May 10, 2017 7:57 pm

The circuit board version should be written right on the PCB. With that info, I'd contact Orange and ask, if you want to know about the recall. That info should help date the amp, somewhat.

You can order a knob direct from Orange.
https://orangeamps.com/shop/control-knob/
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI