Rocker 32 chassis/board pics

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Rocker 32 chassis/board pics

Post by Jondog » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:32 pm

DoktorV wrote:
Jondog wrote:I'm wondering if they're there to block possible interference coming off the opposite power amp circuit. Eight screws each seems a bit overkill to me, and a pain in the ( l ). The heavy transformers only need four!
I just played through the amp with the covers removed to test your theory. While it wasn't exactly a controlled experiment, it made no difference that I could hear in the sound of the amp--each side and channel sounded fine, and there was no increase in hum. If I end up hearing back from Orange about the tube layout, I will ask if they are supposed to serve any purpose other than protection. One thing's for sure--those 16 screws will not be coming out again until they have to (I like Sylvania EL84s, and might spring for a matched quad eventually to see if they make any difference in this amp).

Breaking in the speakers seems to be doing the amp some good--I feel like it's getting a little bassier.
It's not necessarily something that is going to happen no matter what, but it's possible. The shields on the preamp tubes are there for that purpose. A lot of HiFi tube stereos have caged around the power tubes for protection and to prevent interference. I can't see why else they're there.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:52 pm

I can't either. Bit OTT though, rivalling the TT combo - possibly the most inconvenient amp I know for making valve access difficult! :evil:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

John_BlackWolf
Tiny Terror

Post by John_BlackWolf » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:15 am

Does this have the adjustable bias trim pot like new flagship amps do?
Dual Dark 50
PPC-212
Hardwired Tiny Terror

http://www.facebook.com/iLLUSTR8ORS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DoktorV

Post by DoktorV » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:31 pm

John_BlackWolf wrote:Does this have the adjustable bias trim pot like new flagship amps do?
I looked at all the pictures I took of the board, and don't see any trim pots anywhere.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:49 pm

John_BlackWolf wrote:Does this have the adjustable bias trim pot like new flagship amps do?
No. The amp is cathode biased.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:01 pm

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but since the question was asked here...

The power tube covers are a relatively new EU safety requirement. To protect us from ourselves, so we don't burn our widdle fingers touching hot tubes. On heads, the enclosure meets the requirement, but on open-back combos manufacturers have to add some sort of physical barrier.

Some manufacturers of open-back combos have added wire screens to the back panel so you can't reach in to cab, others put cages over the output tubes.

terminatortears

Post by terminatortears » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:41 pm

I just bought one of these. Sound is great, but I am having all sorts of buzzing on a variety of notes played. Sounds like mechanical rattling to me, but it is glassy... Taking it to a tech this week.

I was curious- do you see any issue with removing the power tube cages?

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:20 pm

terminatortears wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:41 pm
I just bought one of these. Sound is great, but I am having all sorts of buzzing on a variety of notes played. Sounds like mechanical rattling to me, but it is glassy... Taking it to a tech this week.

I was curious- do you see any issue with removing the power tube cages?
My understanding is the cages had to be installed due to new electrical regulations. Could be tube rattle you’re experiencing.