Do 12AX7's change tone as they age?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

suncrush

Do 12AX7's change tone as they age?

Post by suncrush » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:08 pm

I now am the proud owner of two Micro Terror amps, one of which is 2 years old, and probably has about 1000 hours on the tube.

The other is brand new.

I did a tube burn-in on the new amp, but I noticed that it is much more nasal than the old one. You have to turn the tone knob about 2 notches to the left to even out the sound.

Do 12AX7 tubes get darker as they age, or is this likely to be due to minor variations in the electronic components?

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Do 12AX7's change tone as they age?

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:27 pm

Yes, valves do wear away.

It takes a while, but they lose some brightness along the way.

It doesn't mean your MT valve needs replacing right away, but it sure wouldn't hurt to have a spare, or replace it and keep that one as a spare.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:16 am

Tubes are also not built to very tight manufacturing specifications now. That makes for variation between tubes of the same brand, model, and even build date. In theory, your 12AX7 will perform as a 12AX7 suitable for a guitar amp, but it's not like the old days when mil-spec companies were making tubes that had to go in fighter jets or military radar. Those tubes probably sounded the same tube-to-tube, day-to-day, month-to-month. This makes things harder nowadays, because finding the "perfect" sounding tube means digging through lots and lots of tubes to find what sounds just right to your ears.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:35 pm

Every single valve out there will sound slightly different. More variation between modern ones (even of exactly the same make and type) than with old production ones because the old ones were both more tightly spec'd and MUCH better quality than anything made now. Simple as that.

At 1,000 hours old production preamp valves would just be getting into their stride, with many more years of good life in then. Any modern ones may well be fading.
(And preamp valves last several times longer than power amp valves!!!) ;)

Generally as they age any valves (pre or power) will lose highs and lows and also dynamics. Even if they don't get noisy or microphonic the sound just gets flatter with more hours of use.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:03 am

Maybe the new one has cheap Chinese tubes or poor quality tubes while the old one has better quality tubes.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:58 am

Running through the same speaker? Or a new speaker with the new amp too? I've never noticed big differences in tone with a single preamp tube unless I was going from a 12AX7 to a 12AT7 or something. More just different gain structure, harmonics and clarity.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:25 am

Jondog wrote:I've never noticed big differences in tone with a single preamp tube unless I was going from a 12AX7 to a 12AT7 or something. More just different gain structure, harmonics and clarity.
Really??? :o

Well, does depend on the particular amp(s) themselves to a fair degree, some are definitely much more 'valve sensitive' than others. But I've noticed surprisingly large differences to the overall tone of an amp / channel by swapping out just a single preamp valve of the same type. And when you start swapping in really special characterful ones like old RFTs, Brimars, Mullards to replace others, well it can almost seem like a different amp to me. Quite serious on that.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:56 pm

To elaborate, Preamp Tubes of different characteristics, yes I notice a tone difference. I notice more tone difference with power tubes. But assuming his two micro terrors have the same stock tube in and one is not near the end of its life, in my experience I've never really noticed big differences, such as nasally and dark . However, in the OP's case, with a 1000hrs, I'd probably replace the tube and on the new amp (don't like the Chinese tubes Orange uses), and I suppose with only one tube in that amp a difference would be more apparent. Also his question on the electronic components, if that amp is brand new never played, in my experience they do need to break in and can be harsh, bright. I swapped many new capacitors in amps, there's always a period of break in before it starts sounding smooth.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:05 pm

The sweep of the tone control pot may just vary between the 2 amps. The Micro Terror has a 15V power supply. It can't possibly be running that tube at a voltage anywhere near what a normal amp is running at. As such, it will last MUCH longer than most amps. 2000 hours isn't much in that environment, IMO.

If you think it's worn, replace it. You may or may not hear a difference.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI